Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an opportunity to get a 175 cheap, roughly 1972 or so. A good project to cafe? Parts? racing?

Let me know your opinions.

Scott

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
oh boy did you just open a can of worms!!! they are favorites here.

jc

aaron???

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Favorites? Yay! But what about souping it up? Boring out to 199cc? New pistons?

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
aaron has all of the info you want. he's got a hotrod one hes been building for this season. i really dont know anything about them. also, gpchamp has one too.

jc

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
There's a lot you can do with the 175's. I have gotten most my information from a guy named JohnnyB. I do have a brand new big bore kit with rings that will turn your bike in to a 200 with about the same compression that would make for a great caferacer.

Aaron

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aaron: i hear you're racing for DS on the Triton? Is that you? I live on d'iland too.

S

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Yeah that's me. I'm very eager to get on Dave's Triton. It should be a good learning experience for me. Let me know if you need anything for your 175. I have quite a few extra bits.

Aaron

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll meet you soon. I'm doing the track day at Loudon on Friday, and then probably at the end of the month with you and Dave. (Did you know about that?) I haven't got the 175 yet, it is in partial trade for another bike of mine, and I haven't decided whether the deal is worth it. But I think I'll get it. With any luck I'll be racing a Norton and a 350 Honda this summer. But I think I want to get away from the ever so crowded 350 class. AND I am interested in the extra parts you have should I pick the bike up. It is in very good condition, almost so much so that it might be a bad thing to cafe/race, but what the heck, who needs another little Honda running around in stock form.

Scott

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
hey!! i resent that comment!

kidding
please tell david and mary joe c says hi when you see them.

j

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had to get some sort of reaction to that, I suppose. I got a bitchin stock 66 BSA here for sale. 650 litnin. $2500.00. Everything else is modded.

S

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Definately get the Honda. My Honda was an almost perfectly stock piece of art. I looked at it and thought "hmmm... its only a Honda" so its now a race bike. I would definately turn yours in to a race bike if you plan on racing at all. I learned a lot more about going fast by racing slower bikes. 200gp looks like it will be a fun class. Plus if you decide you want to do something with it, it so far has turned out to be very promising bike.

Also a 66 Lightning is the best bike ever created. In fact that bike is the reasons I love old scoots. Do you have a pic you can email?

Aaron

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
put them up for all of to see, im dyin here man!!! i gotta see it!!

jc

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tried to figurer out how to put images here, but to no avail . . . OK, so I am on a Mac. I have to be for my business. If someone gives basic instructions, I'll post a photo. I know it can be done, after seeing the PBR girls. . . . What you missed her?

Scott

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
can you put your image on the web someplace??? you'll need to do that. if you cant, send it to jeremy, aaron, or me and one of us will do it.

jc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts