Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this build has not started as you can see but before I go recklessly swinging a spanner or angle grinder around it would be good to get some useful tips from anyone who has had experience with this kind of bike or a build similar to this,

As you can see from the pictures the rear shock springs have rust and the forks have pitted out from the little rust spots that have developed these will have to serviced and that part replaced, chains rusted out and the box has been removed, I still have this along with all the other parts that are not present in the pictures. The exhaust is rusted out in some spots so that will need to be replaced.

cheers in advance for any motorcycle wisdom shared

Attachments

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
wow what a wreck. I'm going to tell you right now, it isn't worth it to put any money into that bike, let alone what you would need to get it to be running, rideable, and safe. However it's your dime and it's clear nobody can tell you anything.

Step 1: get it running. You cannot build a bike without a sound base and a sound base is a running, optimally tuned engine and a working braking system. Don't get ahead of yourself with pods (they are not a performance enhancement), or an exhaust system, or anything else. Stock, you want that engine to run perfect as mother honda intended. Once you are certain there are no issues or glitches in that system, you can then mod to your hearts content. If you don't listen you are going to chase your tail.

Those forks should be 33mm....throw them away. Not only are they pitted in the travel area and are thus garbage, but you should be able to upgrade to a cb900f 37mm or 39mm front end without major fuss and you can keep your existing brake system to save money (and gain an extra caliper to boot since the 900F uses dual disc with the same caliper).

In the rear I would look for a cb750F rear disc comstar and convert to rear disc.

forget spoked wheels. You are not talented enough nor do you have access to the right tools to pull off that swap, and it will be too expensive to pay someone to do it. For better or worse you are stuck with comstar wheels, which isn't so bad as there are comstars (which you have) reverse comstars (which are better but look similar), and cx500/cb1100F boomerang comstars which are freaking beautiful for an 80's wheel if you can get one with the gold anodizing intact.

The best upgrade you can do to that bike is finding a cb450T engine and swapping it in. the 250 is the source of the rebel motor and ask anybody, those engines are reliable but shit to work on. Double the power, double the torque. it will still be boring as shit but less of a pain in the ass if something goes wrong internally.

AS your super dream (gayest name for a bike) was styled like the big superbikes of the era, I would look to those for inspiration. It will never look like a 1950's or 60's motorcycle. It just wont. this should be your inspiration:
060U9834_lg.jpg

·
Registered
23,302 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Only one thng I like about that it is the way they fixed the ugly ass flat lines of the tank. Would work on the bigger F series bikes too. Other than that...meh.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Once again, Geeto is right and Geeto is wrong.Lets start with the part where he is right, it is good for his ego:). Get the bike running and riding with as little expense as possible to see where you are at. From what I can see of the pictures, the forks and chain should clean up enough to be usable for testing purposes. The drag bars should be OK and you will need some sort of seat. I would go with modified stock to head toward the picture of the period correct performance bike. Remeber, that bike looks the way it does for functional reasons.

Here is where Geeto is not right. The 250 engine in your bike has no relationship to the CMX250 Rebel engine. The Rebel engine is a bored and stroked version of the CM125/185/200/250 engine. As such it was never designed to be a performance engine of any sort. The CB250N engine is a sleeved down (I don't know about the stroke) version of the CB/CM/CMX 400/450 engine. Therefore, one of those engines will fit in and possibly just a topend will bolt on to your lower end.

As far as the rest of the bike goes, just work with the stock suspension, btw, your rear shocks are not stock, so they might work great with some clean up, put on some great stock sized tires, rebuild the brakes and ride it until you figure out what you want to do next.

But, Geeto is right in that you will probably just do whatever you want anyway, so I guess it will be a CX500 tank, bum stop seat, no fender, chequerboard, 59, ace stickered POS with Firestone tires and stock carbs with Emgo pods. Go for it.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
You guys will probably be surprised (or not) that those crap old Honda twins actually fetch good money over here. Regardless of their condition (I think the ones that don't run are actually worth more...)

I blame all the hipster douche builds on DTT.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Ken is right about everything. We didn't get those 250s here so I didn't know they weren't rebel motors (they sure look like rebel motors). oh well...

every bike in Australia is ungodly expensive. I blame it on your country's origin as a penal colony (don't worry we were one too).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers for that info on the forks my good friend Geeto67 I hadn't had the chance to look through the forum in search of what forks could be changed over as upgrading the front end suspension and brakes was on my list of things to do, I will look at into the cb900f front end as you suggested ? as for upgrading the back brakes given how little they actually do i will leave those as drum brakes. by the way that cream that you recommended for the herpes worked a treat
Hey kenessex cheers for your input the bike runs, it starts first time but I would like to look at transplanting another motor or look at changing the top end as you suggested the frame wont be getting chopped shorter,I have a friend who is a boiler maker so we may replace the last cross member with one that sits flush with the frame, the rigidity and structural integrity of the frame should be maintained if we do that, the reason being i want a flat seat . cherry bomb.jpg this is the kind of seat I'm looking at putting on.
cheers for the help

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Good luck finding a CB900 front end over here.

You'd be better off trying to use something a bit more modern like a GPX250 or ZZR250 front end. Far easier to find than vintage Honda bits and just better because it's newer.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
................every bike in Australia is ungodly expensive. I blame it on your country's origin as a penal colony (don't worry we were one too).........
It's pretty much just because we are so far away from anywhere - especially Japan.

They couldn't even make it down under to bomb us in WW2......

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Yes - sorry they aerially bombed us in Darwin and Western Australia. I meant to say we were too far away to invade.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Are you planning on riding 2 up? Consider that there may be a reason to have the crossmember raised like that before you chop it out. For example, support the bike and take the shocks off and see how the wheel moves through the arc of the swing arm travels when the wheel is at the front of the chain tensioner and when the wheel is at the back of the chain tensioner. Then adapt what you want the bike to look like to the function of the bike. If you don't need to have a passenger then perhaps you can do what you need to do in front of where the cross member is.

I'm a big fan of "run what you brung." There are always better, more perfect bikes. But if you wait 'till you can get them you may never get started. Go For It Man!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ey up CB. Firstly let me tell you everything you have can be mended, cleaned up, and put back fit for purpose. If you need to look for inspiration on how far gone them bikes get and turn out better than new look here. There's nothing them boys don't know/haven't done. Truly inspirational stuff.
I'm picking their brains myself as I'm a novice to Onda and doing a similar thing to you atm. You can do a single caliper dual piston front brake upgrade from a cb750 with a 900 disc I think. I've got the stuff coming myself and as soon as I can find the correct info I'll fill you in. Agreed on the rear, just make sure it does its thing correctly. These bikes aren't all about speed and a correct operating single piston is fine imho. Mine was seized and the pins stuck and beyond economical repair, and they are hard to find so I looked for an alternative.
Here's a vision of mine just nailed together for a 'mmmmmm' yeah not bad. I'm going for a slightly scramblerized thingy. Mine came to me in boxes so I don't even know what goes where, but all the info is out there and all part of the fun :)

I should have my frame back from my welder man this week and as soon as I've got owt worth showing I'll start a thread. Meanwhile I'll keep an eye on what your up to :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good luck finding a CB900 front end over here.

You'd be better off trying to use something a bit more modern like a GPX250 or ZZR250 front end. Far easier to find than vintage Honda bits and just better because it's newer.
Hey hillsy, cheers for that with those front ends that you suggested will it required spacers to be fabricated or the triple trees a match for my frame ?? I have access to a lathe so it shouldnt be a problem if I need to make them up I was going to take the forks off to measure up the length of the tripple clamp and forks so i get something that doest change the rake of the bike too much or if at all if i can help it dont want to change the handling for the worse, cheers

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
If you have a lathe and can make spacers you are ahead of the game. You may need to swap your CB steering stem into a donor triple because Honda used a 26mm top stem and a 48.5 mm bearing (dumb size). If you can do that though, you can pretty much fit any front end you like.

Measure up what you've got and make friends with your local bike wreckers (take them a six pack and ask if you can go out back with your tape measure).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cheers Shug it will be good to see how these both turn out, cheers hillsy back to the wreckers I will go, I have some spare time so im going to go out and remove the front end now and get it all measured up

·
Registered
658 Posts
You better get that bike working. It sounds like the automobile industry has pulled out of Aus. Before long the cars that are left will be hacked and scavenged into other cars. Wait! Didn't they do that in Road Warriors?

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
You better get that bike working. It sounds like the automobile industry has pulled out of Aus. Before long the cars that are left will be hacked and scavenged into other cars. Wait! Didn't they do that in Road Warriors?
There is a place where that's already happened. We call that place New Zealand.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts