Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just to keep things moving along, My 350 twin was up and running in its most complete form since i brought it home in Feb. done a couple shake down runs in other forms, but this is the best state of tune up to this point. I now realize why people scoff and snicker when people ask, "HI im a newbie here. What is the best performance modification i can make to my CB350 twin? open pipes, k&n's or what."
I too will now snicker. I hve not had any misconceptions about the little bikes' capability but now as it is i realize that nothing short of building a race motor is gonna wring major power boosts out of it. Was totally fun to ride don't get me wrong, i love smaller bikes even while being a little other side of normal size.

Anybody else here care to share some of their first impressions, misconceptions. or perceptions of this hobby we all share? Get a ride on that dream bike that fell short or far exceeded? What was the moment you realized you were not as great a rider as you thought you were? Those can result in valuable lessons. just trying to keep things interesting. gotta get back to work now, oops....

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Kind of what you asked for, but with cars.....

For YEARS I lusted for a MGTD sports car--beautiful sweeping fenders, chrome grill, suicide doors. Just an object of beauty that you could drive. They were pretty pricy but I finally found one I could afford by trading my 7000 actual miles 1959 Morris Minor Convertible and $2500.

When I brought that car home I was in car heaven....for about a week. It was the worse riding and handling car I had ever had. It was cramped and your feet boiled. It was SLOW. I kept it less than a year and was happy to see it go. My sprite was a better car.

The best analogy I can think of is that drop dead gorgous babe you chased for years, and when you finally got her in bed she just layed there and wasn't any good!

Oh, and that Honda 50 scooter I got from Parks was pretty anti climatic--much slower than it was in 1966, but then again I was nearly 100 lbs lighter....

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
My first impression after riding a CB350? I was actually impressed, it had more power than I expected it to have. A few of us had agreed to race 'em in a field, the "formula" was that it had to be a CB/CL 350/360 and you couldn't spend more than .50 cents per cc for the complete bike. (This was about 20 years ago) We were finding 'em all over the place for super cheap, stripping off the street stuff, makin' 'em run and then gassin' 'em around this "oval" in a field. Park 'em for a year, come back and they'd start up pretty much like we left 'em. I kind of wish I'd kept mine, but I ran out of garage space for it long ago.
That's the short version.

FR

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
find another 350 for as cheap, in the same time period that will beat it. nothing would really touch it that was easily available back then, well, except a 2 stroke. but i bet you cant. heres the deal. youre looking at probably about 25hp. 350lbs. the stock brakes are eh at best. its not going to set the world on fire, and even if you build a full out race motor, itll cost ya probably 2-3 grand or more. for the reliability, ease of parts, and the knowledge base, you cant beat it.

jack you should have kept the minor. they shove small block chevys in those things dont they? my neighbor had one when i was in highschool. a really nice white one with red roof and interior. he also had a few tf's. dont ya love the roller pedal? i really like the "a" model. the bugeye was a bitchen little car.

jc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts