Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Just got another cb350, 1970. Thing is when I go to kick start it, the kick start just goes all the way down, no engagement, almost like I have the clutch pulled in.

Any tips on this?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
yeah, just bump start it.

but there are few springs and a couple of gears on the the shaft. one of the gears looks more like a hole-saw and can wear out pretty easily. also if one or more of the springs is broken it could accelerate wear and maybe keep the hole-saw gear from engaging the big gear which is the one that turns the engine over. all of this is pinched together by a couple of little spring clips. i recently tore down an engine that had lost the plate where the biggest/return spring hangs? so like i said...just bump it. oh, and i guess the kick lever is snugged on to the splined shaft so that you really are turning the shaft?

good luck-
tt

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, this is a street bike, I enjoy a good bumpstart on my cafe, but not a stock cb350. So, you are saying that it is internal and require a teardown on the kickstart side...........Interesting, because this is what I was thinking was the problem.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
yeah, to fix it i'm guessing you'll have to split the case. i mean, that is if the bike is starting off the e-starter and/or runs though the gears OK. but if it's not even doing that you'll need to break it down anyway.

-tt

·
Registered
478 Posts
i had the same problem so while doing the valves i decided to pull the whole motor down and find the problem, i couldn't see anything wrong with the kick start gears, the funny thing is though once the motor was all back together the kick starter was working fine.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
there are a couple of variations on the kickstarter setup. one is like the setup tt mentions. i cant remember exactly what the other is like though. if the springs go bad on the inside, the gear wont release, and you will get a constant grinding noise. but it sounds for sure internal. could even be the internals were removed because the spring failed. but the shaft had to remain to keep oil in the cases. drain the oil, pull the motor, flip it over, pull the oil pump and associated, the clutch, anv split the cases, you can do it in a day and have it back together.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Reviving an old thread.

Just got the CB350 out and tried to start it with the kicker. Sometimes it will engage and other times it will not. If I push down 1/2 way sometimes it will catch. It will always spring back up to the "at rest" position.

The previous posts are for a kicker that never engages. Mine does some of the time.

Any thoughts on repair here? Is there a little dog that may catch and engage kicker like on my Aermacchi?

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts