Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Rosko,
If it's like the smaller twins all you have to do it remove all that stuff. The rotor is located by the taper on the rotor bore so removing the clutch on the back side doesn't have any effect on it's position.
You'll be amazed by that little clutch...strange device. 3 or 4 rollers, with springs pushing them in one direction. One direction it slips totally without resistance...move it a fraction of an inch the other way and it locks up solid.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
yeah, but are we going to tell him how to remove the alternator rotor from the shaft???

I was SHOCKED, SHOCKED when I saw how that thing operated. those 3 little rollers . . . .

s

Edited by - imslow on Jul 13 2005 9:21:10 PM

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Scott....I was so shocked that I've saved a half dozen of them...surely they must be good for something sometime.

Not sure if the 350's are the same way...but I have a puller bolt for the 175's.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off thanks for the response.
and second...
can anyone post a pic of a rotor puller? Is it possible to fabricate one? (of course)

So post a pic or share your special secret... we can erase the thread afterward to keep the info from spreading. Perhaps a secret handshake like the masons?

I'll even bequeeth my first removed starter unto thee...........

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Mine is downstairs...but it's just a largish fine thread metric bolt that threads into the inside of the rotor bore and pushes against the crankshaft when you tighten it up.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
ROSKO
I think that tool is only $10 and so far has fit cb350, cb175, Superhawk, and 350+400 4 cylinder bikes. You'll be suprised it won't just be a single use tool. Same with the oil drum 4-prong tool.

It was a bummer to pull all that stuff from a Superhawk only to have to put the gear back on the crank because it is also part of the seal. The alternator side on that motor is not bathed in oil. Sorry for that useless nugget of information but I was just working on that this week.
bfd

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Bill,
That's interesting. In the short time I had a superhawk in the shop I was pretty impressed with the quality and technology. Honda was obviously trying to make an impression with that bike. Only a few years later they started to cheapen things up. Still durable bikes but they stopped doing some of the neat things they did on the Superhawk and older bikes.
Doesn't that thing have some kind of two piece ball bearing supported camshaft?
JohnnyB

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
PS. after you thread in the rod to remove the rotor, you'll probably use all your strength and nothing will happen and you'll be pissing and moaning that it won't come off.

Then take a medium ball-peen and give it a little whack and it'll pop right off. Weird physics at work, but it's what I've had to do several times.

JB, ayuh, I save those things too, but I never know why.

PS. i have a storage area where I have a bunch of printing stuff. Turns out Fairchild Semiconductor has a few thousand square feet there too. Last week all this stuff was going into dumpsters . . . . computers, stainless, all the shit you need to manufacture wafers. I asked if I could save something . . . there was a nikon photo microscope used for examining chips and wafers. unbelievable. and it works. Looking at the highest power is like looking at an electron microscope type image. I know it's not, but man an ant looks pretty scary at that high a power magnification.

I can't believe (I know I know) that corporations waste shit like this. This was probably a $5000.00 piece of equipment. They could have given it to any school in Maine.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
you should see the stuff mike o gets from the dumpster at gillette!!!!

jc

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
JohnnyB
The motors have some really cool stuff I wish they had kept like cams supported by roller bearings but cheesy stuff the primary drive is by a chain. And the oil pump reminds me of the old movie projecters from high school science class.
This particular motor has only 2 of the 3 bolts holding the alternator on because they thread directly into the case and one is broken off flush. he primary chain is worn enough that it's tensioner can't keep up and it's wearing the case a bit.
Some good design features never made it to the later bikes, some dodgy stuff ended with it.
bfd

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Sure do. Tripped over it the other night.

For a block off on mine I use one of those rubber plugs that expands when you tighten the nut. Don't know the official name of it but that's how I describe it at the auto parts store and they know what I mean.
bfd

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Scott,
I was just bidding on nice microscope on the ebay the other day. Stereo type with computer hookup for images...about a $3000 piece..went for a couple of hundred. My 1908 Boush&Lomb (sp) is getting a little long in the tooth. When I was a kid I used to dive in the local ATT (building like a fortress) dumpster, brought home a lot of phone parts....had no idea what to do with them. I love dumpsters. I'll give you $200 for the scope!

And on the puller bolt...yep almost always have to whack them with a ball peen.

Bill,
Yea...chain drive primary...that's 50's technology (except for brits and harleys). The older Hondas were intened to have a higher level of care and maintainence than the later models. You can track the way they sorted things out....this thing unnecessary complex (or good)....that thing was to fragile (or maintainence intensive)...eventually getting them sorted out to a reliable and simple machine, but without much neato technology.

Completely off topic....but I just installed new Gotoh machine heads on my 1965 Sears Silvertone acoustic (had since I was 8 years old). Actually stays in tune now. Heads cost more than the guitar did in 1965...not saying much...guitar was on sale for $13.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I knew I should have bid more. Bid like $150 but it went for about $200. I'll get the next one.
Always fun to have a microscope around the house.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
I was in touch today with a friend who works at Fairchild Semiconductor. He says they have to throw all this stuff away because of 9/11--the government doesn't want it on the open market. Sheesh.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts