Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1975 cb 360 I am stripping it down and would like to remove the bulk of the electrical system. it's huge and bulky and ugly and I don't care about electric start or turn signals. But the thing will only run on the battery. if I remove the pigtail and put a test light on, I get power when I kick it. But something is not right! can anyone help me?

·
Registered
278 Posts
The charging system doesn't generally make enough power to overcome the load until about 4k rpms. There are a few solutions to the problem.

- One is to buy some kind of battery eliminator (www.bat-pac.com), which is just a capacitor that stores up a bit of charge. I've had mixed luck with them on Hondas, but might be worth trying.

- Second option: use an sla battery (do a forum search for sla), which is cheap, small and mounts at any angle - easy to hide under the seat. I ran my 450 on a 2.3Ah SLA for awhile, but don't recommend it - things get sketchy if you sit very long in traffic. I'd go 6Ah or higher.

- Third option: old honda charging systems typically have a charging circuit that only comes on when your headlights are on. It's there to compensate for the added draw of your lights, but it can be used to provide power at all times - just splice that wire into another hot coming from your stator. That might give you enough power at low revs to get your bike moving without a battery.

Good luck, let us know what you come up with.
A

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I found a 5Ah sla battery at a local battery store, and I'm going to try it on my 350, probably next weekend. It's less than half the size of the original battery & $24. I'll let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome you guys are life savers. you know I have restored model A's vintage caddy's I have several old school dirt bikes. I absolutely love this stuff. But I'm only 25 and I just haven't been around long enough to know all the little tricks yet! you already got me looking in the right place!!! You really don't know how frustrated I've been. I really thought I wired my bike wrong! but it all works just doesn't start on the kicker...

my next question is should it stay running if I disconnect the battery? I know the answer is yes... but just checking

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I think it depends on the bike. I know a cb360 will not run without some kind of battery, but there are some bikes that will - my '72 Bonneville, for instance.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I just went out and hooked up the carbs and she runs fine... till I pull the battery cable and then dead as a doornail?

speaking of bonny's. a friend of mine has a '72 I think is the year. he bought it new from the dealership. and it has been sitting since it was new. it's in a climate controlled garage and has 2200 miles.. he won't ride it, start it, or anything, but won't let me have it. won't sell it.... he just wants to let it get old.. he drives me nuts..

I think this 360 should be fun.. I just sold a 600 yamaha that was fast. and now I'm building this so I hope it's not too slow! I mainly just wanna putt around town.. lemme know what you think!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the 360 require some kind of battery to polarize the magnets so the stator will work? I know this is how a 750 does it. If that is the case you will need a battery no matter what. I recommend the battery that vespa uses in their lx50 scooters, those shits are tiny.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah I looked at those little battery packs but it says it won't work with a brush type stator... what kind is mine? I'm thinking the sla battery is the way to go.. but I will check on that vespa battery... I was thinking about designing my cafe tail to house a small battery, inside the hump.. anybody have any thoughts on that? then any exta wiring could just go in that? I'll take any advice I can get, you guys sound a lot smarter than me about this stuff... I'll be a wizard by the time I get this done with as much research as I have done!

·
Registered
278 Posts
quote:
correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the 360 require some kind of battery to polarize the magnets so the stator will work?
I'm inclined to think that's true, but there was a lot of variation on this point from the period - i.e. the 450s of the day had fixed magnets. Snorkle, you've got an open 360, haven't you? Have a look and see if there are coils or magnets on that rotor.

suzukisam: Even if you had a permanently magnetized rotor, your bike would still die if you unplugged the battery at idle - it draws way more power than it makes at 1k. Make sure the lights are all off and try revving it up to 6k, hold it there and pull the battery from the circuit. If it still dies, you're going to need a battery.

The hump's not a bad place to hide it. Be advised: use a suitable gauge of wire to run the extension to the positive, and move the ground strap to frame rather than running an extension to that. I say this because I didn't do those things the first time, and it really lit a fire under my ass. So to speak.

A

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
74 CB 360 will NOT run without a GOOD battery in the circut. When I got mine, I could start and run it with the battery in the bike hooked to a charger. If I disconected the charger the bike would die. A new battery was installed and all is well.

On some other Hondas, they will run without the battery, but due to the battery being a kind of regulator, the bulbs will soon burn out.

Edited by - jackc on Oct 06 2007 7:04:20 PM

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this is all great info.. I'm really going to have a nice piece when I'm done. I just got my clubman handle bars today. my b-day is next week and I think my wife told my parents to get me a set of tires.. and I'm gonna get started next week laying the fiberglass for the tail.

xander you would move the main ground to the frame near to the "hump"? the existing ground to the engine should I just ground that to frame also?

any good leads on some cheap rearsets or an easy way to get some old school brackets and pegs. As of now I'm going to just make some plates and modify the original pegs. I bought linkage and a shifter off a later model hurricane. and it looks like it should work well. I sat on it today and the position is perfect for my build. as comfortable as my late model crotch rocket was!

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
quote:I think this 360 should be fun.. I just sold a 600 yamaha that was fast. and now I'm building this so I hope it's not too slow!
If your late model crotch rocket was something like an fzr600, you're in for a surprise. Cb360s are not fast. I think they make around 25 hp, and they have a super flexible frame and insufficient suspension front & rear. That said, it's a fun bike - very lightweight & easy to toss around.

Oh yeah, and it WON'T run without a battery.

Edited by - judeyramone on Oct 06 2007 9:40:38 PM

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I love riding my 360. It is just fun! It can hold its own against any non crotch rocket bike on the flats--I walk away from my buddies sportster, but those hills really kill it! On the flats I have had it up to an indicated 84 mph. My 94 sportster has a hard time reaching that speed.

Since I am thinking about a lite cafe conversion on it, I will be watching here for some sources for cafe goodies--tank, seat, rearsets, etc.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow I've done about 135-140 on my crotch rocket and the thought of 84 on a 360 scares me to death! I assume yours is basically stock? I have lightened mine by about 50 pounds roughly. I'm hoping that alone will contribute to the ride. should handle better and be faster with the weight removed. I'm going with some newer sttyle sport touring tires. I think that will give me a little more stick on the asphault over the stock style tires.

·
Registered
278 Posts
quote:
xander you would move the main ground to the frame near to the "hump"? the existing ground to the engine should I just ground that to frame also?
Ultimately it all goes the same place. All I'm saying is that the ground return to battery should be done with the ground strap rather than an extension, and it isn't going to reach from your engine to the back of the seat - so move it to where the battery is and ground to frame (same circuit as the engine, makes no difference).

Now for some unsolicited advice: resist the temptation to put massive fat tires on your bike on the theory that it'll make it look "sportier". I wouldn't go over 110/90 on the back end and 100/90 on the front... beyond that handling will get steadily worse, and if you're going to get new rubber it may as well be good for something. Also, tapered steering bearings and new swingarm bushings will go a long way to getting modern handling on your vintage bike.

A

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
... And get some better shocks.

·
Registered
687 Posts
i bought a 12v 7ah sla new on ebay for $16 after shipping. shipping was so fast it showed up at my door before i finished the transaction.

before i tore it down i used to run my cl350 75-80 mph in the hill country pretty often and she ran strong. i pushed her to 85 a few times but the stock front end would get squirrelly at that speed.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well I'm doing good then.. I ordered 110/90 back and a 100/90 front. it is a basically smooth type tread however the rear is more of a broke up tread pattern. Now i'm prolly gonna get scolded for this but I bought cheng shin tires. they are rated a lot higher than what I'll use them for. I'm doing this thing on a budget and just need to get it running. I'll prolly replace them one at a time in the spring or fall. but I have bought them for all my dirt bikes and they have been pretty good tires. and I don't need anything insanely expensive on it while I'm mocking up everything. they will prolly take away from my handling. but this thing is killing me in bucks. I have removed all the turn signals and electrical hand controls from the levers. so I have to buy a new throttle and new clutch lever. I just got clubman style bars. I gotta get tubes and tires. this new battery system, so it'll even run! my from brakes are shot so I gotta get new lines. those oem lines are gonna require the sale of my first born child!!! I just can't drop a big wad of cash. I wanna get her on the road and then uprade as soon as I see how I like the bike. I hate spending a lot of money till I know how I 'm gonna like the parts I'm buying!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts