Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking at a '72 CB350 and a '77 CJ360 as a first vintage bike and a winter project to turn in to a nice simple little cafe. Beyond the build differences, drum vs. disk and starter vs. kick only, which is a better bike to a first time project?

Also, over the longterm will the kick only really become annoying and make me regret going with the CJ?

Are parts between the CB and CJ interchangable or is there a short supply on the CJ side?

Thanks racers for your help here and guiding a noob!

Mike

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
No parts are interchangable (engine). Which bike is cheaper, has a title, runs, and looks better? I'd vote CB because that is what I love. 6 months ago I would have sold you my CJ for $250. Good Luck!

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
No parts are interchangable (engine). Which bike is cheaper, has a title, runs, and looks better? I'd vote CB because that is what I love. 6 months ago I would have sold you my CJ for $250. Good Luck!

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
which ever one is most complete with title and running.

nothing is interchangeable except the front wheel.

the cb350 has more custom parts available.

how handy are you? if the answer is not handy then you probably want the e-start when diagnosing problems.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
which ever one is most complete with title and running.

nothing is interchangeable except the front wheel.

the cb350 has more custom parts available.

how handy are you? if the answer is not handy then you probably want the e-start when diagnosing problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, for the immediate relys, I dont have two left hands when it comes to working on stuff buy engine work will have to be done by a buddy. I would say overall the CJ is in better shape and it runs great, no idle or carb problems at the moment. The CB will need a new r/r and the carbs cleaned out and the engine gone over. CJ needs a new front tire CB's are new. Otherwise they are pretty comparable. CB is half the price of the CJ, $500 vs $1K.

Sort of torn but I am leaning towards the CB.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, for the immediate relys, I dont have two left hands when it comes to working on stuff buy engine work will have to be done by a buddy. I would say overall the CJ is in better shape and it runs great, no idle or carb problems at the moment. The CB will need a new r/r and the carbs cleaned out and the engine gone over. CJ needs a new front tire CB's are new. Otherwise they are pretty comparable. CB is half the price of the CJ, $500 vs $1K.

Sort of torn but I am leaning towards the CB.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Like Geeto said, lots more aftermarket stuff available for the 350 -particularly engine stuff such as pistons, springs, cams, etc.

Not saying that stuff is not available for the 360, but definitly more plentiful for the 350.

Personally I think that the 360 frame lends itself better to a cafe build. The "hoops" where the passenger pegs mount are ideal for rearsets and I like the loop at the rear of the frame.

It has been said that the 350 runs best with a two-into-two exhaust, while the 360 benefits from a two-into-one setup.

Also the 360 is going to have disk brakes up front with the option of mounting twin disks if you want to get hardcore.

At the risk of being crucified, I think both tanks/frames would be narrow enough to use clubman bars, or you could go the more respectable route and use clipons -33mm for both I believe(?)

just my two cents.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Like Geeto said, lots more aftermarket stuff available for the 350 -particularly engine stuff such as pistons, springs, cams, etc.

Not saying that stuff is not available for the 360, but definitly more plentiful for the 350.

Personally I think that the 360 frame lends itself better to a cafe build. The "hoops" where the passenger pegs mount are ideal for rearsets and I like the loop at the rear of the frame.

It has been said that the 350 runs best with a two-into-two exhaust, while the 360 benefits from a two-into-one setup.

Also the 360 is going to have disk brakes up front with the option of mounting twin disks if you want to get hardcore.

At the risk of being crucified, I think both tanks/frames would be narrow enough to use clubman bars, or you could go the more respectable route and use clipons -33mm for both I believe(?)

just my two cents.

·
Registered
783 Posts
And for the love of God don't buy mikuni 32mm carbs. Just...don't.

·
Registered
783 Posts
And for the love of God don't buy mikuni 32mm carbs. Just...don't.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 360 is slightly modded to be a cafe already with clubmans installed, my only real heistation on the 360 is lack of parts, no electric start and the drums up front, which are a nice and retro look but I prefer disks in front. I guess I could swap the brakes but that is more then budget and capability allow at this point.

The CB I am looking at is the one listed on the forum, its sort of local, 72 cb350 in il, can't seem to get the link to post don't know why, looks like the forum uses frames so I can't find the address.

Anyways, thanks for the help thus far, I am still undecided. So further points of discussion/consideration are helpful.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 360 is slightly modded to be a cafe already with clubmans installed, my only real heistation on the 360 is lack of parts, no electric start and the drums up front, which are a nice and retro look but I prefer disks in front. I guess I could swap the brakes but that is more then budget and capability allow at this point.

The CB I am looking at is the one listed on the forum, its sort of local, 72 cb350 in il, can't seem to get the link to post don't know why, looks like the forum uses frames so I can't find the address.

Anyways, thanks for the help thus far, I am still undecided. So further points of discussion/consideration are helpful.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
CJ has better frame
CB has slightly more reliable motor.
Both will seize cam bearings if operated at high rpm for sustained periods of time (don't use it on interstate :D)
CJ will accept CB360 6 speed transmission without any mods (I've done it [8D])
I think 6 speed will fit into CB350 but haven't tried it
Neither will accept twin disc conversion without fork swap.
CB disc wheel will fit as long as its complete with axle and spacers (plus you'll need master cyl and caliper etc.)
If you are fitting pod filters to either with stock carbs, CB are slightly easier to jet but CJ carbs can be modified to work properly (need air corrector jets changed)
I would go with CJ but that's because I've had a lot of CB/CJ250/360's.
1977 CJ250 with 391cc conversion

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
CJ has better frame
CB has slightly more reliable motor.
Both will seize cam bearings if operated at high rpm for sustained periods of time (don't use it on interstate :D)
CJ will accept CB360 6 speed transmission without any mods (I've done it [8D])
I think 6 speed will fit into CB350 but haven't tried it
Neither will accept twin disc conversion without fork swap.
CB disc wheel will fit as long as its complete with axle and spacers (plus you'll need master cyl and caliper etc.)
If you are fitting pod filters to either with stock carbs, CB are slightly easier to jet but CJ carbs can be modified to work properly (need air corrector jets changed)
I would go with CJ but that's because I've had a lot of CB/CJ250/360's.
1977 CJ250 with 391cc conversion

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I guess I should have mentioned this in the original post, what is the use of thie bike? I recently sold my dual sport, klx 250, good bike, underpowered but manuverable. That bike was a daily commuter and I rode it about 20-30 miles a day for a while, loved it, but I needed something with a little more pep. I am replaceing the KLX this winter with the vintage cafe that will be used as a daily commuter.

Any issues with cold starts for either bikes? Riding every day which one do you think will be better?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts