Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the internal transmission differences (gearing) between stock CB350 and a K2 SL350?

anyone know? anyone care?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
EVIL-

confirm with BFD, the crossreference expert, but i think the bottoms are all the same from CB-CL-SL. otherwise i think it's just cam differences, but check with someone who actually knows some stuff....ROSKO?

-tt

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Evil
I can look if you want. I know at least one version of the SL had some different ratios for 3-4-5 but it's not much.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Bill, I should've snapped a picture of your truck that day you came to pick up all those CB parts... I swear I thought your tires were going to blow.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I can try to find the ratios listing tonight. I was searching one out because it was "the" swap, less jump between 4th and 5th or something, but the reality was kind of a let down.

Rob
The leaf springs on my truck were never the same after that 20 mile drive. When I see those ads where they drop the huge crate into the bed of the truck and the guy drives away can't possibly have CB350 stuff in them

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Sorry, it fired off before I was ready
CB/CL SLK1 SLK2
1 2.353 2.353 2.866
2 1.636 1.636 1.800
3 1.269 1.280 1.333
4 1.036 1.036 1.035
5 0.900 0.900 0.870
I had gone to the trouble of finding one but the trans in the one I was rebuilding felt tighter so I didn't use it. It looked like a straight swap but I didn't physically mount it in the case so Rosko may be right. The only difference I've found between SL and CB parts is the crank is shorter on the left outboard end by the width of the sprag clutch for the starter.
And you learn that's not an advantage when you buy a PVL and can't install it until you have to rebuild your motor and can justify swapping the crank:)

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Sorry, it fired off before I was ready
CB/CL SLK1 SLK2
1 2.353 2.353 2.866
2 1.636 1.636 1.800
3 1.269 1.280 1.333
4 1.036 1.036 1.035
5 0.900 0.900 0.870
I had gone to the trouble of finding one but the trans in the one I was rebuilding felt tighter so I didn't use it. It looked like a straight swap but I didn't physically mount it in the case so Rosko may be right. The only difference I've found between SL and CB parts is the crank is shorter on the left outboard end by the width of the sprag clutch for the starter.
And you learn that's not an advantage when you buy a PVL and can't install it until you have to rebuild your motor and can justify swapping the crank:)

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, its an SLK2, so that makes an interesting difference. Rosko, it's LWSV.

So with those numbers in mind, and you guys running 16/36 or 38, would a change be in keeping if one had a SLk2?

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
bfd,

Did you notice if a wider CB crankshaft would fit correctly into the SL cases? That way you could still use the pvl with the lighter cases.

Craig

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Champ
That can exciting those gear ratios were. I was typing way to fast

Craig
I had put a SL crank in a CB case because it had the least amount of rod end play and at the time I had never even heard of a PVL. The CB crank fits in the bearing saddles but the left end would poke out of the SL case.
I solved the problem by getting out of the FCB business

·
Registered
687 Posts
bfd
there might be ways around that. the sl(that i have anyway)has a more shallow stator cover than my cl and from the looks of it my cb360 has an even deeper cover the same size.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Snorklefork
My problem was I was using an SL crank in the CB case and the way the PVL plate mounted there simply was to much gap when the rotor was mounted. Picture the CB case with the starter motor mount/boss- the SL case is thinner width wise by that much. Maybe an inch.
I solved the problem by changing the crank, and then selling the PVL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts