Cafe Racer Forum banner

CB175 tank on CB350?

9K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  thecanadian 
#1 ·
Hi all, I have done some searching here and well as elsewhere on the interwebs, but I could not find a definitive answer.

I am looking to get a replacement tank, and then smaller CB175 looks like a good option. The petcock looks to be in the same place, but does anyone know if the CB175 will fit on my CB350 ('73 G) without any modifications? I was hoping to leave the stock tank on while I am repainting the CB175 tank.

Cheers,

thecanadian

#6 ·
Really?
are you that lame that you couldnt buy the stupid tank and see for yourself?

But I bet you wax poetic about how you are "making the bike your own"

#13 ·
So the only answer you wanted started with a "yes"?

And now that you figured out that people tell you it needs to be modified you are still going to buy the tank and then pay to have it modified?

wouldnt have been a waste to buy the tank and see for yourself.
could sell it on if not something you could make work, or pay someone to make it work.

#17 ·
"The answer I was looking for was "yes, I have done it and it does/doesn't work" or "yes, it does work with modifications and here is what I did to make it work". "

If you ask a question on a blog you may get many diverse and potentially useful answers. DOH, of course you want the World to respond they way you'd like it to. The World rarely does. Get used to it.

"It's far from over my head, I have been modifying cars for years, building and repairing computer systems/networks for over a decade. I also learned to watch my wallet, and I don't like to waste money on something unless I know it's going to work." The process of working out whether your new tank will fit your bike obviously is.

Making something fit is a skill, valuable experience and a learning process. It's the difference between cut and pasting a bike, and customising one.

If you think playing tank swapsies does not involve a hit with a hammer here and there to clear a coil or a frame rail or making different tank mounts, I think you are fooling yourself.

If the tank is a good one at a fair price, just buy it. If it doesn't fit, just throw it back in the maw of Ebay or CL.

You could try putting the tank on, and then try turning it on and off.

#18 ·
Technically speaking, you can fit a tank from a Honda Civic if you try hard enough and modify it to fit. Or as you state "customize" it. I am not interested in hearing a lecture about what you think my capabilities are, or whether I abuse the beautiful thing we have called the Internet Community.

Because I don't sit around a garage all day, welding myself a pair of pants, and singing the tunes of the good old days, doesn't mean that I am incapable of fabricating something original for my project. I was merely asking for some insight from folks that perhaps have done the same modification.

I am truly sorry that I came on to an Internet forum about cafe racer project bikes and started asking questions about a cafe racer project. It will never happen again! In the future, I will avoid asking for help, and learn myself the good old way, hack and slash!

All joking aside, thanks for the folks that chimed in with some useful advice. Much appreciated.

#19 · (Edited)
The Emo view of the World, is not dead.

You could always get a job with Deus Ex Machina, they gather bits in boxes from Japanese parts warehouses, and bolt them together.

That's not really building or customising a bike, more like assembling lawn furniture or Lego.

I'm sorry the specifications and attributes of the World don't come up to your high standards!

It does me, just dandy.

#23 ·
See, now was that so difficult?

For record, I am carpenter by night, so metals are exactly my thing, but I am certainly capable of designing, prefab work, and I hope to be able to do the welding myself. I have a degree in architecture, so I am more of a paper and pencil person, but I enjoy working with my hands.

If I were being complete honest, I would like to keep the bike as original as possible with rear sets, clubman bars, and some neat tucking of the uglies to clean the bike up a bit and lose some weight.

Choosing the CB175 tank had very little to do with looks, it was listed on the local classifieds and pick up was easy. Instead of waiting for eBay.

#24 ·
have you tested the compression on the motor, cleaned or replaced the points, checked the timing/advance, cleaned and synchronized the carbs, are your tires more than 5 years old and starting to show cracks and maybe in need of some replacement, are the fork seals leaking, when was the last time the fork oil was changed, are the rear shocks leaking, Is the bike running, do you have an ownership for it?

I Think the Gas tank is not the best thing to start with on your bike. You should address the maintenance which a 40 year old bike will require before turning it into a "cafe racer", other wise you will end up with a bike that may look "creative" but runs like shit and is dangerous.

#25 ·
Harvey,

Yes, a full tune-up was done on the bike prior to purchasing it. Compression is between 162 and 165, carbs were cleaned over the winter and new tires put on last fall. No leaking from the forks, no visible leaks anywhere. I am not sure when the oil was last changed in them. The bike runs like a dream, it can be a bit of a bitch when it's cold, I have to use the electric start if it has been a few days since starting it. After that it goes on the first kick, though.

The only thing I know it needs is new mufflers, as the original ones are starting to give way to rust after 40+ years ... I have some on order from DCC.

I have the ownership, along with three repair manuals and a few extra cosmetic parts that were included with the sale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.