Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've been posting a bit and thought it was time I posted some pics of my project. I'm trying to fix it up without strippping it down and spending packets of money on it. The tank will stay original and side covers/tail painted to match. This is my first bike and I'm trying to get it going for the ride to the Australian round of the MotoGP at Philip Island which is about 2 hours from me. That's the first weekend in October but I'll need a month extra to get some experience.

Anyway here's some pics. The first is the switchgear and the clipons I've adapted to fit with some split sleeves.

I modified the fork top rings for running without gaiters. I parted the top off in a lathe and beat them over the end of a socket. I like how they came out, except I made them the same then found the turned part on the top of the leg is a different length one side to the other:(

This is the bike as it stands now. The seat is just sitting there, I still need to make a frame for it. I'm thinking it looks a little tall as well, and it can't go any lower.

Cheers, Scott

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Michael. I'm not sure what the clipons are from. They're 43mm ID. I managed to fix the head stem bearings. Didn't have any luck finding tapered rollers so Dad helped me re-grind the original races and I bought some new balls.

Cheers, Scott

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looking good! Keep those update pics coming!
So what front brake/wheel are you using? I plan on doing away with the pitiful cable-operated disk on the front myself.
Jim

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure what happened there, must have hit the wrong button.

The front wheel is standard CB200, I think the drums were up to and including '74. Pretty sure CB175 would fit as well but you may need the forks tubes/legs as well to accomodate the brake reaction strap.

Work has been progressing slowly, I've got the motor out to split the cases and repair the kickstart lever. At least I get to clean the frame up and touch up the paint. The motor well get a good cleaning up too.

I just got some bits in the mail. A fuel cap catch, battery strap, and +0.5mm pistons and rings if I need them down the track. I'm still waiting on a tail light I bought on Ebay.

Scott

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish. Mine won't be as neat as that. I'll have to get some pictures off my sisters phone and post them up. I have finished my seat frame then it's paint and upholstery. I'll post some pics up in the next day or two.

Scott

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, it's something to shoot for, right? I saw the red seat and intake covers and the clip-ons and I thought that was it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Scott,
Nice to see another aussie on the forum. Keep up the good work on the bike it should turn out great, your in the right trade to do some nice custom stuff rather than just bolt on after market shit. Which bit of melbourne you in? My girlfriend lives there so I'm over there every now and again if you want to talk cafe bikes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That other 200 is a nice looking bike. I've actually had that picture on my computer for over a year now.

Hi hoopsnake. Good to hear form another aussie. I don't think there's too many others here. Thanks for the kind words. I'm in Ferntree Gully, in the SE suburbs. It'd be good to meet up sometime.

Here's a few photos of my seat frame. I had some more but my sisters phone takes lousy pictures in low light so I'll have to take some more later. The seat frame's 1/2" mild RHS. I bent the side rails by hand in a vice. It picks up the factory hinges and seat lock. I simulated full bump using a shocker without a spring so I could check clearances.

·
Registered
63 Posts
been working on my 200 for a couple of months. will post pic with new seat soon once i figure out how to insert images, any suggestions? Michael Bateman (group w racing) rules!! keep us posted with your project. NATE

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wow 1974 CB200 - Love the bike. I like how the seat echo's the tank strip and the overall cleanliness.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not much more progress, but I did paint my air cleaner covers. Tried to replicate the theme on the tank. Eventually I might strip the bike back some more but at the moment I don't want to re-wire it/move the battery and bother too much with carb re-tuning. The MotoGP is this weekend so I've move the goal posts for my deadline.

Scotty

1 - 20 of 33 Posts