Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm tooling along at about 55 mph and 5000 rpm in 5th gear for about 2 miles. I come up to a red light, let off the throttle and the engine goes to idle, then gradually dies out. I restart and smoke starts coming out both cylinders and the engine seems sluggish... If you have been reading my riveting posts you already know my 1800 hundred mile-1976 CB200 has 120 psi in both cylinders and has been smoking out of its left cylinder when it gets warm. This new thing has happened twice, both after driving 50-60 mph, engine bogs down and smoke comes from both cylinders for ten to thirty seconds, what gives? I'll post pics of my spark plugs, I can use the help reading them. Thanks again to the forum gurus who take the time to answer posts... -ryan-

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Smoke coming out of the cylinders? Specifically where? From the exhaust ports, intake ports, head gasket? Obviously there shouldn't be "smoke" coming out of anything but the muffler.
What color is the smoke, white/grey, black? I'm thinking that if you're decelerating from high RPM and get white/blue/grey smoke from the muffler it could be bad valve guides or seals (if it has 'em) leaking oil into the combustion chamber. Black/dark exhaust is indicative of too rich fuel mixture or too much fuel, like maybe the floats aren't adjusted or aren't closing properly.

FR

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I 'm with FR in guessing either float levels are too high or the needles and seats are not sealing. At speed you are keeping the fuel level at a tolerable point, but when you come to a stop the needles are not sealing and it floods out. It smokes until it burns off the excess fuel.

Ken

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am going to third the "check your floats" suggestion. I have a 1975 cb200 with less than 2000 miles on it that I could not get to idle. I half-ass checked the floats and they seemed to be within spec and I wasted a lot of time checking everything else on the bike. Finally I gave up and took it to a mechanic and he adjusted the floats and now it runs great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts