Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. Well I solved my fork problem by buying a SH pair off Ebay and rebuilding them, but the next thing is the head stem bearings. They're very lumpy and I'm having trouble finding the ones that fit.

The listings bike shops have is for:
22.5 x 41 x 12.5
24 x 41 x 12.5

However, the ones I pulled out measure:
25 x 48.5 x 18.3
27 x 48.5 x 19.2
(I may have the heights swapped around but it doesn't matter too much.)

Have any of you guys come across this, or know where I can get the ones I need?

Cheers, Scott

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I'm not sure what measurement your relating here???? If your bike has the standard race and ball bearing set-up - toss them and use a roller bearing setup. This will give you better handling and you may be able to find the correct combination your looking for.

Check your measurement for the diameter of the steering stem and the length. You will need a pair of calipers to get an accurate measurement of the diameter of the stem. Then check the web site - www.sudco.com/steering.html for the size your looking for. One thing to keep in mind is the diam size of the outer race size of your steering head along with the inner race size of your steering stem.

Good luck

·
Registered
241 Posts
That's the same size as 160/175. I've not been able to find anyone who sells a perfect fit set of replacement roller bearings. Les Barker at Little Engine Service sells roller steering stem bearings that come with a shim for the upper bearing to make it fit. Everyone seems to like that solution just fine, lots of NW racebikes are using that bearing set.

Les Barker
Little Engine Service/The Vintage Advantage
(360) 699-4964

Please let him know I sent you to him.

Michael

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob, my dimensions are ID x OD x height, sorry, I probably should have posted that. Thanks for the link to the Sudco website, but unfortunately only one of their bearings I could make to fit but it would need a sleeve on the ID. Tapered rollers is what I'd like but at this stage I'd settle for anything new.

Michael thank you very much for the tip. It's a pity he's not closer to me but I think I'll have to give him a call all the same. I'll tell him you sent me. Do you know if he emails at all?

Thanks again,
Scott

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi Scott -

I hadn't noticed your location before -

I'll check with Les and see about email - I'll be talking to him today anyway.

Cheers -

Michael

·
Registered
45 Posts
Scott:
I'm having the same problem with my CB200 steering bearings as well.
I want to replace them with tapered bearings but I have not been able to find a set that works. I come up with the same measurements as you.
Several months ago I bought a set of CB200 tapered bearings from Pyramid Parts but they would not fit. I just wrote it off as dealing with the wrong company.
Next I bought a set of All Balls but they came in as the same size I got from Pyramid.:(:( The All Balls site states the correct set is #22-1002; the same size(s) I got before.
I emailed All Balls several days ago explaining the situation but have yet to hear back from them.
Has anyone else come up with a solution for this dilemma?
I hate to go with oem ball bearings but it looks like I might have to.
Jim

·
Registered
45 Posts
Scott:
I'm having the same problem with my CB200 steering bearings as well.
I want to replace them with tapered bearings but I have not been able to find a set that works. I come up with the same measurements as you.
Several months ago I bought a set of CB200 tapered bearings from Pyramid Parts but they would not fit. I just wrote it off as dealing with the wrong company.
Next I bought a set of All Balls but they came in as the same size I got from Pyramid.:(:( The All Balls site states the correct set is #22-1002; the same size(s) I got before.
I emailed All Balls several days ago explaining the situation but have yet to hear back from them.
Has anyone else come up with a solution for this dilemma?
I hate to go with oem ball bearings but it looks like I might have to.
Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts