Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY GUYS I'M A PROUD OWNER OF A 1975 CB200 WITH 12,000 ORIGINAL MILES ON IT, THE OWNER SAID THAT IT HAS TROUBLE AT IDLE, BUT IF YOU GIVE IT SOME THROTTLE TO GET IT ABOVE IDLE RPM'S ITS OK. I'VE BEEN EXPERIENCING THIS EVERYTIME I RIDE IT AND TRIED TO CLEAN THE CARBS AND ADJUST THEM. I DON'T HAVE A MANUAL YET, BUT WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS RUN INTO THIS? ALSO WHAT IS THE REDLINE FOR MY CB200, I'VE HEARD ITS SUPPOSED TO BE 10,500 RPMS, MINE ONLY GOES TO ABOUT 7500. ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT
THANKS GUYS

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
How exactly did you try and clean the carbs?

Did you take them all the way apart and make sure every crack and crevice was surgically clean, confirm every hole in every jet was clear and round thru a bright light, or did you simply squirt some carb cleaner on them and maybe even bless them with some comporessed air afterwards?

Are you sure your valves are properly adjusted, spark plugs properly gapped, and ignition dwell and timing set correctly?

If your carbs are actually clean, tank and fuel clean, no kinked or restricted lines causing fuel delivery problems......

then you have a vacuum leak or some of the other service items are causing you problems

my guess is probably a combo of more than one problem but I doubt your attempt to clean the carbs was adequate

and not trying to be hard on you

I've just been behind many who claim to be actual mechanics that don't know what clean really means when it comes to carbs

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just fixed the exact same problem on my 1975 cb200. (ok, I didn't actually fix it, I got really fed up with trying a million different things and not having a running bike so i paid someone to fix it.)

Check the float heights. The floats were set too high on my bike which was flooding the engine. So, at low speeds, it would stall out. If I kept the rev's up above 3k, it would run no problem.

I don't have the manual with me, so I can't tell you what the spec is. I ordered the shop manual on CD from ebay for $15 and its in there. I don't remember if it's in the clymer manual.

Good luck and let me know if that works!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just fixed the exact same problem on my 1975 cb200. (ok, I didn't actually fix it, I got really fed up with trying a million different things and not having a running bike so i paid someone to fix it.)

Check the float heights. The floats were set too high on my bike which was flooding the engine. So, at low speeds, it would stall out. If I kept the rev's up above 3k, it would run no problem.

I don't have the manual with me, so I can't tell you what the spec is. I ordered the shop manual on CD from ebay for $15 and its in there. I don't remember if it's in the clymer manual.

Good luck and let me know if that works!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses, this kinda learn as I go,Sorry for the loud typing, Here is a list of what I did , I changed the oil, cleaned the filter, replaced and gapped both plugs, replaced the points and gapped them also, set timing, and took carbs apart and cleaned them. It now won't seem to start, I can push start it but it doesnt stay running, i think there is an issue with the battery or the charging system. I am going to test the coil and retifier with a meter today. Hopefully she starts!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts