Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to pickup a 350-4 instead of my current cb350 twin. How reliable are they and what's a good source for parts? It's all original now but would like to possibly cafe it out for playing on. Any tips appreciated and thanks

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Don't get rid of the twin!! MANY more parts (hop-up and otherwise), and MUCH more expertise available for the 350 K's. They're cheap, quick, handsome and fun. Plus, there's a large brotherhood (sisterhood, too) of 350 riders and racers out there.

350 Fours are the slower cousins of the 400 Fours. They are good looking little things, but you may find parts, power and "brotherhood" scarce.

Honda go sideways!

http://groups.google.com/group/co-ohvinmoto

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
the 350f had a tendancy to throw rods. I had one briefly and loved it! had such a good sound when you would rev that little motor up. it was also extremely more powerful above 7000 rpms, so thats where i kept the little bastard! i am seeing more and more people getting these 350f's back on the road, and parts becoming more available too. i just parted out a complete bike last month. still have a couple items left if you need anything.

'72 cb750
'75 cb750
'76cb750
'82 cx500 (but mine is cool, i swear. Why don't you believe me?)

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
350F in stock form is a dog. A big sloppy dog. Also stock parts and replacement service items for them are starting to get to be like hens teeth made out of rocking horse shit. Plus the 5 speed is not what the little 4 needs. If you really want a small SOHC 4 get a 400F, way more parts espically cafe parts and service items and the 6 speed is nice.

For some stupid reason the 350F has become a cult bike and prime examples of this bike trade for stupid money (anybody who pays $4500 or more for a restored 350f and who nostalgia didn't get a hold of needs a swift kick in the nuts).

That being said the one I owned was fun in an abused girlfriend sort of way (just kidding don't get all human torch on my ass)....You had to beat that bike to get anything done and it was fun kicking it and seeing it still run and ride good. I remember pulling up too hot to a bike night and watched the horrified faces when I literally stepped off the bike at 2 mph and let her grind to a halt on the left side crash bars.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
quote:
I remember pulling up too hot to a bike night and watched the horrified faces when I literally stepped off the bike at 2 mph and let her grind to a halt on the left side crash bars.
Now that's funny!

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
geeto didnt you just cause lots of proplems on another board beacuse of this topic....lol
i do have to ask something about the difference between a 350F and a 400F. other then a 6 speed and 50cc what changes the bikes charator?

There is the right way, the wrong way and the british way to do anything!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the tranny makes a big difference - it isn't like they have the same ratio and there is just an extra gear, the gear splits are much better for street riding on the 400. I believe the carbs are different and that helps too, plus that 4 into 1 on the 400 is dead sexy. I have heard there are guys who can make the 350-4 fast, and I have a friend with a 350-4 with a yosh motor, but stock for stock the 400's extra 50cc and better gearbox (and different cams, heads, etc) just make for a better bike.

chassis makes a big difference too. The 400F is setup as a quasi performance motorcycle where as the 350-4 was a standard. I am pretty sure the 400F has more cornering clearance, better frame, better swingarm (although still spindly), and a lower stock riding position and I am not 100% sure but I think it is a lighter bike too. When you ride it, the 400f feels kinda edgy, the 350F feels like the waiting room at your doctor's office.

I don't know why honda made a 350-4, but it didn't sell well. 2 years before it got the axe.

One of my friends who also owned one used to say that it competeted with the cb400T hawk for the most UJM feeling vehicle. The only advantage it had was rev-ing the crap out of it and getting somewhere - something the hawk has yet to do. They were bikes filled with sound and fury and that's about it....no real signifiance.

I started a flap because whenever someone proposes they are valuable I say "set it on fire" because I can't tell you how many newbies I used to know who would buy these bikes (or get them for free) thinking wow how cool is this only to be disappointed the first time they rode it or tried to buy parts. They were probably the first regular production honda motorcycle that actually became hard to get parts for in the 1980-90s. It doesn't help that the bike is actually pretty - it is a piece of brie or roquefort cheese baiting a mouse trap.

I understand people get nostalgic over the bike and that is ok - nostalgia makes people save all kinds of things like garbage pail kids collector cards and edsels. I get nostalgic over stupid shit too. However if you even thinking about "restoring" one of these things because you think it might be neat - be forewarned it will cost you more than twice what it will cost to restore a mid-year cb750 and will deliver 1/16th the riding expirence.

Edited by - geeto67 on Jan 07 2008 12:19:53 PM

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
dont ask him what he thinks of clubmans!!! actually, im pretty sure its the 400/4 that was the rod throwing machine. ive seen at least 3 do it it the track. the 400/4 chris rode of johnny duponts was stoopid fast. nice wheeliens and everything. until it tossed a rod at summit. and it was a nice carillo too. right through the front of the case.

jc

·
Registered
14 Posts
well i just got mine a couple months ago and took it for a spin before i started tearin it apart , def. not the fastest thing but its gonna be fun to mess around with

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
dont ask him what he thinks of clubmans!!! actually, im pretty sure its the 400/4 that was the rod throwing machine. ive seen at least 3 do it it the track. the 400/4 chris rode of johnny duponts was stoopid fast. nice wheeliens and everything. until it tossed a rod at summit. and it was a nice carillo too. right through the front of the case.

jc
actually it is both that toss rods. Mostly because they are both high revving machines and stress crack the rods over time.

quote: well i just got mine a couple months ago and took it for a spin before i started tearin it apart , def. not the fastest thing but its gonna be fun to mess around with
it's going to be real fun until you need any stock style parts then your wallet is going to scream bloody murder.

·
Registered
14 Posts
well since i already have the bike and its pretty complete i hopefully wont have to worry about it too much, BUT if something does go wrong does anyone know a good site to get parts ? even if they are expensive .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts