Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1985 CB450
1973 CB350F
Are these bikes any good? I thought I remember reading one of the post that said CB 450's past a certain year were dogs.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Run the VIN #s by the local police. They'll tell you if its stolen. Getting a title can be very easy with a bill of sale, depending on where you live.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unga I always thought you were supposed to stay away from anything without a title but I'll check into how difficult it is to get one.
The guy says the bike is not running but since its a Honda that should not be a problem, whatever that means.
I don't know if I'll mess with this one or not. Probably just keep looking around. Can't decide what I want anyway. The only bike I've had was a 750 and I always thought 350's were too small. I want a bike to work on and try to restore but I have no experience at it and thought a smaller bike would be easier to learn and experiment with. Probably fun to ride too.
I'm not sure if thats necessarily true but thats my thinking anyway.
And I'm cheap.

·
Registered
699 Posts
if you don't have any experience working on bikes, stay away from bikes that you are going to have to totally re-do just to ride it. get one that runs and rides that you can work on a little at a time...break it down into "systems". if you get one that is a little over your head to start out with, you will get frustrated and 9 times out of 10, you'll give up on it...we don't want to see that happen. spend the extra money and get a runner, and learn from there. when you get some experience, then dive into a pile and save a diamond from the rough. good luck!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tyler didn't you see the part about me being cheap.
No, just kidding, thats good advice.
Part of my pitch to my wife was I get a barn bike and it won't cost much to start riding again.
But hey if she gives me permission to carry my nads around for the day maybe I'll just bring something home. :)
How do you like that RD, is that your daily rider or race bike. I'm at work and can't open your restoration thread to look at it but I will later this evening.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
I've bought plenty of bikes without titles. NH doesn't issue titles for vehicles over 15 years old.

Just do your homework beforehand.

·
Registered
699 Posts
oh i like my RD, but it is cursed and i have just been chasing my tail with it. i have the electrical, brakes, and fuel issues lined out, and i THINK i have the jetting sorted. but, its always "something" with that bike. But yes, it is a daily rider (once i trust it enough). i understand the cheap thing, but to be honest, i got over my head in this RD when i started. my cousin gave me the bike, and i planned to spend $1200 putting it back on the road. I have $3200 in it now. So you might want to buck up and pay $1200 for a good runner instead of $400 for a project that you will nickle and dime to death. Just trying to help people out, because i went on the ramen diet for about a month so i could get the thing on the road...and that sucked!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tyler after reading your restoration thread last night I'm thinking I'm getting over my head. You guys really did a nice job. That bike looks great. I'm not surprised you've got that kind of money in it.
I may re-think my plan and do like you say and try to find something a little more road ready, then start tinkering with it. I still like the idea of restoring one but I probably should start out slow.
I'm going to take your advice and start looking for something a little more road ready and if I see something along the way really cheap I may pick it up too. Something to experiment on.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'm not trying to talk you out of anything, I just don't want to see anybody get in too deep and then quit. I could have bought an RD400 several times, running condition for less than $1400. But this one has a lot of meaning to me because it was my cousin's bike and all. get one to tinker with, get used to working on it, and learning to trouble shoot things. you have come to the right place for asking tech questions. i have asked my share on here and they have almost always been answered correctly. thanks for the compliments on my bike man, im sure you can build something just as nice or nicer. if i can do it...anybody can. it just takes a little plastic card and a LOT of patience

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No your not talking me out of anything but you and Ejand are right. Buy tires, pipes and whatever for a cheap bike and its not cheap anymore.
I just need to make up my mind and decide what I want to do.
I appreciate the advice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts