Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty,

So I was starting to rebuild the CB after its Maintanance breakdown, and for some reason the brakelight doesn't work.

I tested the lamp itself, it works. I tested the wiring, and it appears to work.

Here's the thing, when I pulled the headlamp off the bike to see if the wiring popped loose, I found the Brakelight (tested it to make sure) wire cut and just laying in the headlamp bowl. Well, I have the wire but cannot see anywhere for it to plug into.

Anyone have a good idea of the wiring inside the headlamps on these bikes. Rats nest to be sure.

I tried OldManHonda's and the wiring diagram in the shop manual but neither have the information I think I need.

Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You can see the wire here in the bottom right hand.

Here is a picture of the wires. The one on the bottom right goes to the brakelight, but as you can tell, its cut. What I can't figure out is where the other end was coming from. Where is the other cut part? Now what I have there goes into the main wire harness and down towards the brake light.

Picture
http://advrider.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=179481&stc=1&d=1217274535

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The green and yellow wire runs to the front brake light switch in the right handlebar controller. Often, the switch has its own separate set of wires (one black and one green and yellow) and plugs into the lever housing. Trace these wires from the switch to your cut wire.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cut wire goes straight into the main wire harness that runs down the length of the bike.

If I look to the other harnesess coming into the headlamp bucket, I can only find one other stray wire and it is a black ground, that if I touch it to the Green Wire with the Yellow Stripe, the brakelight lights up, but is done without the imput of the brake lever.

There is no other open connection, open wire, or unaccompanied wire in the headlamp bucket.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I think on the cb350, there should be a rear switch near the lower brake peddle - you can start tracing wires from that switch. You may have a bad ground wire.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just checked the two grounding wires, and both of them, if I disconnect, then all the electric stop working.

So I am convinced that the grounds are fine.

Also, keep in mind that I connected the Green w/yellow wire coming out of the brake light, to the brown wire connector for the taillight and that lights the brake light, so the ground there is fine. Also if I connect the Green w/yellow that is in the headlamp bucket with any of the black ground wires there, the brake light will turn on.

If the front brake switch is cut, will the back brake not light the back? That doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just pulled the right handlebar controls off, and I don't see a switch for the brake.

There is a button right below where the cable goes in, but it doesn't seem to be linked to anything.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Black is hot on the 350. Green is ground.

Do you have drum or disc up front?

Here's a wiring diagram for what looks like early CB's ('68-'71):

http://www.honda350k.com/CB250_350.jpg

Check the right side of the diagram and you'll see the brake switch with green/yellow and black wires running into it. The switch is a gate: juice runs into it through the black and out of it through green/yellow when the switch is pressed. If you have a drum front brake the switch is a small cylinder about 1/4 inch in diameter and an inch long that plugs into a hole in the lever perch on the side facing the headlight. Sounds like yours is missing....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, the thinking among everyone is that the cable was replaced, the switch removed... and all I have are the remains.

Going to try and track down a replacement with the switch on it.

Also going to try and figure out why my rear brake light isn't working.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Figure out what I needed, and then that website died...

BikeBandit.com has the same part but for more $. 50% more.

Wow, but that Honda Parts Direct want almost $11 for shipping. Wow.

So BikeBandit is looking $1 cheaper at the moment. Trying to get ahold of some cycle junk yards.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts