Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used race camshaft which I was told, a Megacycle X5. I checked out their site, but the small stamped numbers did not match. I sent it to a tuner and requested if he could recognise. He stated it was a genuine Honda race cam but couldn't pin point the spec. The numbers are as follows: 2325 1 0. Can anyone shine a light ? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I wouldn't worry so much about the brand of the cam as it's specs. I'm sure if you go back on the Megacycle site you can get some cam measurements and try to use those to figure out what you bought. You can also compare it to a stock can to determine lift and duration of the *new* cam. This is a pretty common thing for people to do - buy a cam and not know what they have purchased. I hope you didn't pay too much for it as it looks like your going to end up with paper weight...

BTW - if your interested in building a motor, just buying an unknown cam is not the way to start.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I sold one on EBAY about a year ago that had very similar, if not those same numbers stamped on it. I initially listed it as an X5 as that's how I bought it previously. Before the auction ended I was told it was from Web Cam, and I made a note in the listing. I cant find my pictures of it but it sounds similar, and the buyer was from England.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, bfd it was myself !!! Can you give me the proper web cam website address ? p.s. I stay in Scotland....lol.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Small world!!
I'll look tomorrow when I get to work. From what I recall they no longer list cb350 stuff but I'm sure someone there could easily find some info to help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Web cam had no e-mail contact, so I sent a letter. Replied today stating that it was not one of thier cams !!!!Back to square one. I'll just have to scoure the web for info. And purchase a new recognised race cam. Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Sorry about that pal
WebCam was the name given to me by a guy here in the US who makes a living racing a 350 (or used to) and selling parts, and should know better than me! I didn't throw his name out so as not to start a crap-storm......
Maybe you can post a picture of the numbers? Or email it to me and I'll post it for you.

From what I recall the total lift was very close or the same as the latest stockers, but had more duration. You should be able to check running clearance pretty easily on your own, or if you have someone building for you certainly can. I think it should be compatible with stock pistons

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
There's a number of ways to determine if it's of use to you, beyond the paperweight idea.

If you have access to a first class race shop have them run the cam through their Cam Doctor or Andrews cam measuring device. That will reveal lift curves, acceleration rates, jerk etc.

Or if you are cheap like me (I lived in Scotland for years and took on that well known characteristic), pop the cam in a motor with a rocker arm and one light valve spring and use a dial gauge and degree wheel to plot the lift curves. Then you can repeat with any other cam and determine the differences.

Compare that data with your flow figures and you can see if it's a good match.

Or build it into a motor and try it out.

Sometimes, the latter is the only way. When I raced CB72's a few millennia ago, I tried four or five different cams until I found a set that really work with my motor. When I built a CB160 based racer we found that race cams just cost us power in the midrange and added nothing at the top C/W a mild Megacycle cam.

The dyno and lap times don't lie. I just like data and to understand why things do what they do and teh winter is long enough to do that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers guys, I think I will go the "Scottish" route and compare figures with other race spec cams. I'm sure that I will be back soon with more questions !!

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
hey I just found that one of my engines has that same cam. Any idea what it is where it came from?

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
hey I just found that one of my engines has that same cam. Any idea what it is where it came from?

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i also have a mystery cb350 cam in my collection....no idea what it is...or where its from....

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i also have a mystery cb350 cam in my collection....no idea what it is...or where its from....

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
I have ten or so that are mysteries. I just want to find out if wee nor found out what THIS one is.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
I have ten or so that are mysteries. I just want to find out if wee nor found out what THIS one is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi guys, no joy so far. I have posted on a few sites with no positive responses. Could it be a genuine Honda race cam for the American market ? No one over here recognises the serial numbers. I'll be back soon !!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi guys, no joy so far. I have posted on a few sites with no positive responses. Could it be a genuine Honda race cam for the American market ? No one over here recognises the serial numbers. I'll be back soon !!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts