Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm out riding my '74 CB350F yesterday.
The bike starts and runs fine until I get about 4 blocks away from my house. The bike dies at a stop sign.
Suddenly, I'm getting no power at all - no electric start, horn, neutral light, nothing!
I push the bike back home and plug the battery in to my charger.
This morning, the battery is fully charged but I still have no power at all when I turn the key to the "on" position. All my electrical connections seem good - definitely both battery terminals.
What else should I be looking for (and please don't say a new bike)?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1974 CB350F
1965 Lambretta Li150
2003 Stella

·
Registered
687 Posts
my first thoughts are a blown fuse but i bet you checked that right? lucky for you it was at a stop sign and not in the midst of a curve.

...connoisseur of slack...

Edited by - snorkelfork on Jul 28 2007 9:22:30 PM

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
also, check your connections to the battery terminals...easy for 'em to vibrate loose on these old bikes. then yeah, go through the fusebox then start looking through the harness starting with the main leads...may also want to check to make sure the key and kill switch are working. if you did blow the fuse, try to find out why.

good luck-
tt

·
Registered
266 Posts
like everyone else has said, check the fuses first and then go from there. If you find that you are only blowing fuses occasionally then I would just run an automatically resetting breaker. They are available at most auto parts stores or transport truck repair shops. Best thing is you no longer get stuck

Hey someone pas me the wrench........ Ahh screw it where is the torch

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuses! Of course!
I'll check shortly and report back.
Thanks folks!

1974 CB350F
1965 Lambretta Li150
2003 Stella

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow - I'm learning more about this bike all of the time!
It turns out it was a blown fuse - caused by my incorrectly installed turn signals.

For anyone interested, I replaced the ugly stock signals with these:
http://speedmotoco.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1729&osCsid=04366fbcc56d7e52c9614221ca6b9582

I had the wires crossed on the right side. When I activated the signals, the head light and tail light would blink before the fuse would blow. Kind of a cool effect, no doubt, but not what I was going for and probably not legal.
The strange thing is, I can swear everything worked correctly when I initially installed them. I even drove to work last week with no problems and did not blow a fuse. ANYWAY. I've mentioned previously that electrical work is not my strength. Thanks to everyone for the troubleshooting advice - especially those who correctly diagnosed a blown fuse.

One thing I found incredibly useful was the CB350F wiring diagram found at Old Man Honda:
http://oldmanhonda.com/MC/WiringDiagrams/MCwiring.php#class
This originally appeared in the Clymer manual but the Old Man Honda version is color. I printed the diagram and laminated it - which helps keep it clean when I'm handling it with my grubby paws.

Now, on to the next project.

1974 CB350F
1965 Lambretta Li150
2003 Stella

·
Registered
687 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts