Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched here and many other places for a how to guide to putting a dual disc setup on a cb350, but I have had no luck. I know this is probably a fairly common upgrade for these bikes but I have no idea exactly what the process is or what parts are required. Most of the posts I have read say you can use cb550 triple trees/forks? but since they didn't come with dual discs I still don't understand how they work.

Can anyone lay it out for me? Go ahead and assume I'm a dumbass (I'm sure you will anyway). Or point me to a post where my question has already been answered.

Thanks!

· Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that unsprung weight is something you want as little of as possible on cars, so common sense would say its probably worse on bikes. I didn't know if the added braking ability would be worth the weight gain, and there seems to be more people out there doing dual disc upgrades than single disc upgrades, however I think a single would be more than adequate for this bike. If there was a simple way to get rid of the old single piston I would sure like to hear it!

Thanks

· Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that unsprung weight is something you want as little of as possible on cars, so common sense would say its probably worse on bikes. I didn't know if the added braking ability would be worth the weight gain, and there seems to be more people out there doing dual disc upgrades than single disc upgrades, however I think a single would be more than adequate for this bike. If there was a simple way to get rid of the old single piston I would sure like to hear it!

Thanks

· Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was IMMENSELY helpful. Do you really think I would subject myself to the eternal flow of bullshit that is the caferacer.net forum unless it was a last resort? Yes, I have tried the internet. The internet is not as helpful as everyone believes it to be. If I had been able to find the information I needed I wouldn't be here having this conversation with you.

· Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That was IMMENSELY helpful. Do you really think I would subject myself to the eternal flow of bullshit that is the caferacer.net forum unless it was a last resort? Yes, I have tried the internet. The internet is not as helpful as everyone believes it to be. If I had been able to find the information I needed I wouldn't be here having this conversation with you.

· Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ken- I may have snapped a little, but I asked the question because I have ZERO experience with these old bikes and what works with what. You provided me with no advice other than to read a book or use the internet. Why reply to my post at all if that's all you had to say?

Geeto- I REALLY appreciate that post. That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I have religiously checked this forum every day since I joined on the off chance that I might come across some info that applies to something I'm working on. So yes, I know that there are many guys here who know what they are talking about from many years of experience and trial and error. The only reason I said this was a last resort is because I have seen alot of guys get blasted for asking stupid questions and I suspected I would get the same treatment.

I understand that no one is going to write it out step by step, hell I wouldn't do it either. I was just looking for someone to point me in the right direction. Sure the stock brake is fine, but it isn't the best and I would like to make it better. I didn't want a dual disc because it looked cool, I just noticed that there are a ton of people doing it, so I figured it must be for a reason.

· Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ken- I may have snapped a little, but I asked the question because I have ZERO experience with these old bikes and what works with what. You provided me with no advice other than to read a book or use the internet. Why reply to my post at all if that's all you had to say?

Geeto- I REALLY appreciate that post. That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I have religiously checked this forum every day since I joined on the off chance that I might come across some info that applies to something I'm working on. So yes, I know that there are many guys here who know what they are talking about from many years of experience and trial and error. The only reason I said this was a last resort is because I have seen alot of guys get blasted for asking stupid questions and I suspected I would get the same treatment.

I understand that no one is going to write it out step by step, hell I wouldn't do it either. I was just looking for someone to point me in the right direction. Sure the stock brake is fine, but it isn't the best and I would like to make it better. I didn't want a dual disc because it looked cool, I just noticed that there are a ton of people doing it, so I figured it must be for a reason.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts