Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to get a cb350 running, no key, 1972. Took off the ig switch, see 4 wires, brown, red black, and (I think) a brown with a stripe. Regardless, which ones do I short to see if I can get spark? amazingly the lights work. When I short out the red/blk, headlamp comes on. short out br blk, tail light comes on. At least thats the way I remember it. But when i try all combos, the push switch on the bar for the starter wont crank it But if I short the starter solenoid, the starter cranks, so I know that circuit is ok.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just dl'd manual. Join red/black and brown/brown-white. You'd be wise to not go around shorting out combinations of wires in the hope of accidentally fixing your circuit.

·
Registered
687 Posts
i don't understand, what spark you are looking for? if it were me i'd ground a plug against the engine to see if there's spark at the coils and if not work backwards from there and try using a vom instead of shorting wires. you have a manual yet?

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TT, I might just do that. ps. I always run in the rain. only chance of getting wood.

"What spark are you looking for?"

You can't just ground a plug against the engine to check for spark unless there is power going to the coils . . .

got my asnwer, thanks xander. tomorrow.

layter. Word.

·
Registered
687 Posts
i just assumed that imslow meant you had a particularly low IQ but silly me i thought you were trying to get the bike to run and usually that requires spark at the plug and not necessarily at the headlamp so generally that would be the first place i would think to look before crossing unknown wires in the bucket. good to see you worked it out... cheers

if all you have is a clymer you can get a complete 350 shop manual here or if you want let me know and i can email you a pdf for a different 350 shop manual.
ftp://manuals.homeftp.net/Manuals/Honda/

...connoisseur of slack...

Edited by - snorkelfork on Aug 20 2007 07:42:26 AM

·
Registered
108 Posts
Could be your starter button. The little contacts in there can get corroded and lose the ability to make contact. Check for continuity with the swith off and then depressed.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Evil - let me know if you need spares. I have spare ignition switches (with keys) sittin' in my basement. I can bring it up to Granite state or mail it to you. That way you have a key. I also have spare handle bar cluster, (start button, etc). They are yours if you need them for the cost of a beer!

Pete

Yeller'
---
Ask not what the wanker can do for you, but what you can do for your wanker!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Another option: hotwire it on, hide the wires in the headlight bucket and put a SPST switch on the positive at the battery. Mine's run that way, not because I don't have a key but because I just didn't want the ignition switch there.

A

1 - 11 of 11 Posts