Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I recently got a 1972 cb350 which is my first bike. It ran o.k., but was a little finnicky. I have ordered the bore tech ignition since my spark seemed really weak. I was wondering what coils would be best to use with this ignition and is the system fairly easy to install? I also have some mikuni vm32 carbs on the way if anyone has some installation tricks they want to share. Thanks for any help, Dave

·
Registered
687 Posts
i had a similar question for my set up along with what type of ignition wires are best to avoid interference with the system.

i shot boretech an email and this is the the reply i got from bill, i'm guessing he won't mind...

Sorry for the delay, I took some time out of the regular schedule to do a little test work on some new products we are developing.
That is a valid question about coil wires. I personally had some confusion on what components to recommend until I gathered a lot of information from
different sources on this subject. The best source comes from data during testing and our personal experiences using these products in racing. We
have found that the small Nology coils have a good spark output but are not big enough to handle the heat buildup under race use. They may be find
for most street applications, but I also had a fellow tell me that a Nology coil overheated and failed on his street bike. So we have been only recommending
the Dyna coils even though we still have a few sets of Nology coils in stock.
As far as the wires are concerned, I have found that when using our ignition with resistor spark plugs and good resistor spark plug caps on the ends
of the coil wires, you can use either the copper core wires or the suppresser core wires with good results. The Dyna coils use a wire end that is an
automotive type formed over the wire. Since it is difficult to find the correct wire end only, I have been going to the auto supply store and buying a
good quality but inexpensive set of auto engine suppresser type plug wires that have the correct end on the distributor cap end of the wires that I can cut
down to the length I need. The plug cap just screws into the center of the plug wire on the other end and they also come with a rubber boot to seal the
wire at the coil. If you find a copper core wire that looks good, it will work fine also.
The main negative effect the coil wire can have on our ignition is if the pickup plate leads are run too close to the coil wires. The output of the ignition is
so high that the electrical pulse when the coil fires the spark plug can bleed out and effect the flow of current through the pickup plate wires and cause a
misfire. I have seen this happen on bikes that did not have resistor plugs installed or had the pickup plate lead touching the coil wire on the left cylinder.
I hope this information helps clear up some questions you had. We are always willing to help provide information during an installation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. This is my first bike and I just want to make it as reliable as possible. I think I am going to order the dyna coil and try to tackle this job hopefully next weekend. I am also putting on the mikuni vm32 carbs this weekend. I hope everything goes smooth, this is the first time I've tinkered with a motorcycle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts