Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi gents:

My cl pipes broke whilst riding to work on Friday. I need to make and interim/protype set that will get me though the summer--after which, I'll do the real deal I'm stainless.

So, what are your primary lengths? What is the ID of the merger collector output? For reverse cone megaphones, what specs have you racers foundthat work well.

--Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Chris,
This has been discussed before, try a search, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to this. I have bigger diameter head pipes than most, that are unequal length, into a 2-1 collector and it it works well. Although it is better on top end rather than low end or midrange. The standard wisdom is that about stock diameter headpipes in a 2-2 configuration i best for power.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, I'll try to search a bit more. I'm surprised to hear about the 2-2. I assumed the 2-1 would be best...

I've read that eurospares article many times. The confusing thing is that the suggested primary length is anywhere from 22" to 26". They also never tell the output diameter of the merge collector. So I understand that 1.5" primaries are typical. Those merge together into ...?? That's what I'm wondering. I'll use the eurospares suggestion on the megaphones length, but need the merge collector specs to determine the reverse cone megaphone.

--thanks, chris

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was really pretty anticlimatic. I rode all 29 miles through crazy Dallas traffic. Midway, the bikes started bucking and not really performing well. So I stop and have a cup of coffee and look everything over. Everything seems fine, so I finish up and leave. About a mile from work, I feel something tickle my leg. I look down, move my leg slightly, and the pipe decides to leave the bike. Afterwards, I nursed her her to work, which again, was about a miles away. I rode about 5mph and hopefully, all the valves are OK.

I now hate CL-style pipes. I'm switching to the under mount pipes this week. I'll run these as prototypes for the summer before fabing-up the real deal this winter.

--Chris

·
Registered
68 Posts
Chris,

My pipes are the ones listed on teh eurospares site. Its a 2-2 system. 22" headers (from the head) at 1.5" OD for built engines or 1 3/8"for stockers. From there, go to a 30"long megaphone, that starts a matching diameter (1.5" or 1.375") and ends up around 3". Stan Lipert and I both use that set up (its his set up), as does Joe C and some Tim Tillman used to until he crushed it too many times. Both Stan and I have recorded 48hp with built CB350 with that pipe set up. You can't go wrong.

And no, I sadly don't have time to build any right now, but if I do I owe a few sets to people on this site.

Any specific questions, email me at [email protected] as I don't go on here but 3 times a year!

Chris Marshall

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
chris m's pipes rule. can you say midrange power???

love em!

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
chris is very important. you'll have to wait another 6 mos before hes back. that and he has hockey to watch!!

jc

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've heard rumors that Mr. Marshall may make an appearance at BeaveRun in a few weeks to school some less than respectful acquaintances.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
beaverun is for suckers. if you want to race against people and not yourself (against the clock) you gotta come to summit.

texy

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
mr marshall will be at beaver run. tex, regional points bitch!

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
id say he just wants to hang out with the boys and do some racing whle his womans in town!

jc

·
Registered
687 Posts
i watched your build on your site and from early on wondered whether you planned on running those pipes without the rear mounting bracket. i never did see a shot with it on there.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
"do some racing whle his womans in town!"

so i guess that makes you his girl?

sounds steamy!

texy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts