Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. brand new to this board. sorry if this has been covered. used the search function for a while and didnt really see anything that covered this.

today i took the forks off to removed the spring covers on my 71 cb350
long story short...when putting everything back together, the left fork is compressed and will not extend. i tried bolting it up to the wheel and pulling on it while twisting to get it to extend.

any advice on how to fix this? will draining/replacing the oil help? maybe replacing the seals? this bike has been sitting in a backyard for 12 years so who knows whats going on with it.

thanks in advance for your help and if this has been covered before please flame away so i learn my lesson.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Welcome aboard

Sounds like some sort of hydro locking going on or worst yet RUST. Try removing the bottom drain plug, that should allow air into the bottom section of the fork and allow you to retract the tubes. Replacing fork seals and replacing the fork oil is highly recommended.

hop this helps...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice bmartin. hopefully that will help. i'll try removing the drain plug and letting it sit over night. hopefully that will help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
k, looks like these forks are trash.

i noticed that the 72 and up forks dont dont springs up top. is this the case? i like that look of no springs showing.

my question is...will shocks from a 73 cb350 fit right into my triple clamps and my wheel will bolt up? i have a 71 cb350 with a front drum.

thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
as long as they are clamp in style, and not the earlier type that pulls into the top clamp with the top nut, they will fit right in.

jc

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you have a picture by any chance of what you are describing? my current forks have a 19mm bolt that threads into the top of each fork.

edit:

i think i realized what you were describing the top and bottom of the triple would have clamps. the bottom portion of my triple has clamps but the top portion does not.

·
Registered
687 Posts
the early model forks are smaller than 33mm at the top and fit right into the top tree. the cap on top seals the fork while also securing it to the tree. the later models are 33mm from top to bottom, the trees clamp onto the forks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts