Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Im new to the site I bought a 72 CB 350 Twin. I wanna make it a Kick only, I want to take off all other wires except the bare minimun to kick it over. Does anyone have any tips or diagrams that could help me. I know Ill need to keep the battery, IM just looking to shave some weight and I like the Idea of Kick only. Thanks MATT

·
Registered
472 Posts
Welcome to the board. Good call on removing the femstarter. Don't let anyone talk you out of it. They're weenies. Anyway, there's a lot of info on this very subject in the archives. You should be able to learn a lot by savvily using the search function and sifting through the posts. You'll have to take the left-side engine cover off to remove the electric starter gear and chain that will come loose when the starter's removed. The starter hole can be plugged with an expandable rubber freeze plug you can get at auto parts stores. Don't use any sealant, as it'll cause the plug to pop out when tightening it. As far as the wiring goes, there's a few options. The best way would be to make a new harness with only the wires you need. This can be a daunting task if you're not experience with wiring, though. The easier way is to use the stock harness and just cut out the wires you don't need. You'll want a wiring diagram before you try this. If you don't have one and can't find one on the internet, send me a PM and I'll zerox mine and send it to you. A lot of guys think chopping up the stock harness is butchery, but I think that it's a good enough plan if you take the time to do it right. Insulate the ends of any wires you cut. That'll keep things from shorting out if you misjudge whether a wire is hot or not. The easiest route would be to just take off the heavy gauge wire to the starter and remove the starter solenoid, taping up the solenoid wires really well and tucking them away. Good luck with it. You'll be able to find what you need to know here, assuming you don't get your feelings hurt too easily.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Im not changing my mind about the kick only. I already took the wiring harness of the Bike and Didnt want to get into it real deep and screw something up. I couldnt find any diagrams that would help me. If you could send me your that would be awesome. Thanks,

·
Registered
472 Posts
PM me your address and I'll send it off. Just click on my username to go to my profile and there's a spot for "send an email".

·
Registered
137 Posts
hmmm...

as much as we all hate the "femstarters", what do you do on those days when your bike is cold, and you just get pissed off kicking it over a million times to no avail. Granted, a bike in good running order will always kick over, but its just tiring to kick over a bike like this xP

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
[?][:eek:)]
PJ

·
Registered
472 Posts
Quite honestly, my CB350 starts after 3-5 kicks or so, even on the coldest of days. Just give it a few full-choke kicks with the ignition off to get some fuel in the cylinders, turn the ignition on and give it a good kick. Fires right up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love smack talk on the internet it makes people tough, anyways Im not scared of kickin' a bike over. Im not gunna fall apart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
About 10 pounds when everything is off

·
Registered
68 Posts
i'm deleting the electric start on my 3fiddy project as well... it's purely an aesthetic decision so there's no need to rationalize it based on weight or to deny it's simplicity by pointing out it's impracticality. hopefully i'll build it so that it continues to kick start reliably, but having raced a bike with no starter of any kind for several years i'm just not that worried!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank You overdraft. Im not really worried about it either Im just not sure the easiest way to do it. The engine is a good engine, and I dont think it will give me that much trouble if any at all.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i was looking at my bike today...

Seems that if you remove the electric starter, the left side case will come out farther then the engine...

it would just make the bike look... incomplete....

But now im in the mood to remove this thing xD

·
Registered
68 Posts
there's a thread here about putting your cb350 motor in sl350 cases. the sl was the 'off road' version of the bike and came for it's first few years with no electric start so the cases and left cover didn't have the boss for the starter gear. that's the swap i'm going to do, however there are several people who make snazzy billet starter hole plugs to tidy the look up if you keep the cb/clengine cases, and you DO get rid of the starter motor which sticks out like a sore thumb in front of the motor.

·
Registered
783 Posts
MG innovative products has a plug too, as well as some nice billet parts. Nice people, too. Welcome to the forum by the way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts