Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my 2nd post and i am a newb so sorry for any dumb questions i have. this is my first motorcycle project....i just bought a 72 cb350 last week. its all original and in really good shape. it hasnt been run in about a year but previous owner said it ran before he let it sit for a year in the garage. now I cant get spark on either cyl. the battery was dead so i took it out, that wouldnt cause it to not spark would it? what should i check first?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Put a new battery in and give it another try. To check your spark - remove one of the plugs connect it to the ignition wire and rest it on the head of the motor. While cranking it over (electric start) look at the plug and see if your getting spark. Check both plugs this way. If your getting spark fine -reinstall the plugs and try to fire it up. If your not getting any spark, check your timing settings. If the bikes been setting for a while, pull the carb bowls and check for fuel deposits in the bowls - if you have crap in them, you should take the carbs off and give them a good cleaning.

You should get a good service manual for your bike - good luck

·
Registered
86 Posts
check your fuses, the main buss fuse will keep you from having any electrical on yoru bike.

check the solinoid, and if it is not working then give it a gental tap with a screwdriver to help it work if it is sluggish *note only works if you are using an electric starter*

oh yeah in case you ahve nto done so replace battery or charge as needed.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Put a charged battery in it.
Check the points to make sure they are not stuck open.
Replace the plugs
Pull the plug caps off the ends of the wires, trim 1/4" off the end and replace the caps.
Check the kill switch for position and function
check the ignition switch for position and function
You will have spark

Ken

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the advice! ive already pulled the carbs off and soaked everything in carb cleaner. put the carbs back on and replaced the spark plugs. before i put the new plugs in i connected them to the boots and held it to the motor to see if there was spark. i was using the kick starter b/c i took the batt out.

so, i have a new batt i need to fill and charge then install. hope this solves the problem.

a few more Qs. i dont have a manual so i dont know where the horn, elec start, or kill switch is. i assume the small black buttoms under the light switches on each side are horns?

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Starter on the rght, horn on the left, kill switch on the right

Ken

1 - 7 of 7 Posts