Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where to get one of these? If I had know they were so hard to find I wouldn't have taken the pump off... I've searched high and low in the good old internet and haven't been able to find anything so far, so if anyone knows where to get one I would be eternally grateful.

Isaac

·
Registered
166 Posts
just make one out of gasket material from your local auto store...comes in a roll. Just trace and cut. I couldn't find one either, but it is important to take it out and clean that screen.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow I didn't even know that they had that stuff in a roll, I must be living under a rock or something. Thanks for the tip, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i have to disagree with monkey a little here. you dont want any possible leakage from that gasket area. if it leaks, youll have lower oil pressure. yes, the pump will work fine. but more is better in this case. you can buy gasket paper as said, use a small ball peen hammer (or other appropriate tool to make a tracing/imprint) to lightly tap out the shape. then cut it with a very sharp exacto on something hard. (i prefer glass). be sure to not block any of the passages at the impellor. do NOT use an rtv type stuff. and remember, clean is good here. last one i did in an emergency i used a beer box. ive seen guys gasket nearly entire racebikes from pizza box lids at the track.

jc

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
it is funny

i was at pete t's shop a couple of years ago... he asked me why i had one on my filter cover.... told him it was an oem thing. because he never put one on the motors he had built. i have run it with and without.... no leaks dudes

it can't hurt to use it though..

mattman

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
thats different in my opinion. i wouldnt want to loose any volume or pressure at the pump because its squezzing out the sides. how many times has pete won daytona??

kidding of course. everyone has their methods.

me

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
no, its being under 130lbs! i was referencing "mr daytona", my "tuner/builder"

eh, like i said, everyone has their own way. i prefer the gasket. i think you said it right initially though. who am i to second guess honda on something that works pretty damned good? and if it doesnt gain you anything to remove it, i see no harm in keeping one there.

jc

·
Registered
602 Posts
Have you tried these guys?
http://www.hdlparts.com/default.asp
Just a few clicks in the appropriate drop boxes and Viola', there's the diagrams and prices. Don't know the year of your bike but saw one filter gasket for $2.50

Graham

·
Registered
204 Posts
www.westernhillshondayamaha.com has never failed me yet when looking for honda parts. I've actually just ordered one of those for myself. Terry is in charge of their vintage inventory, never stumped them yet. all exploded views and Honda PN's w/ price for tons and tons of hondas. check em out for real Honda parts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the links guys, both of those places have it(and use the same system to organize their parts, go figure)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts