Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up this non running 1970 CB350 with 4,700 miles for 400 bucks. This is not only my first build, but my first bike as well. More info on me and how I acquired the bike can be found in my introduction in the General section.

As far as this bike goes I am unsure exactly what my plans are. I know it will be daily driven (no racing), cafe style of course, but the details are up in the air. I have named the bike Yamiyo, which is a horrible translation for "the dark of night" in Japanese. That should give you some idea where I'm going. However, I am very open to suggestions. If anybody knows of something they would like to see, let me know and I may very well go along with it. At this stage of the game my first goal is to get it running and make sure all the little maintenance issues are up to par. Although it only has 4,700 miles, it is 38 years old and I assume parts will need to be replaced. From there I plan on making my own seat out of fiberglass on the original seat pan, new handlebars (clipons or clubmans...unsure??), and rearsets. I'm unsure whether to completely strip and reassemble the bike, but knowing me it's bound to happen.

So let the progress begin. I'm going to try my hardest to take pictures along the way, but I have a bad habit of working hard and forgetting the camera even exists. This is evident, as I've already begun disassembly before I took the first picture of the bike. As I said, the bike wasn't running when I got it because it had been sitting for over a year. I began by cleaning the carbs, charging up the battery, and getting new fuel lines. Here is how she sits now:

The first attempt to start her failed, although she did fire up on starting fluid so I know she will. The float valves are stuck so she's not getting any fuel. Two carb kits are on order and should be here today or tomorrow. Hopefully, that will solve my problem and she'll be on the road ASAP.

Updates should be plentiful as school is over and I work at night. This gives me all day to work on the bike. Feel free to give your input on: Where I should start? What I should do? What the end product should look like? Etc.

As of right now I'm going to try and centralize my own ideas and what you guys provide to draft a photoshop of the end product. This will give me motivation to get this complete. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks like you've got a good base and judging by the cars you listed in your opening thread, it should look really nice when you are done!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks like you've got a good base and judging by the cars you listed in your opening thread, it should look really nice when you are done!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
welcome! you seem to have your shit in a nice tidy pile. NOBODY knows 350's like these guys...you've ended up exactly where you need to be!!! i look forward to following this one.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
welcome! you seem to have your shit in a nice tidy pile. NOBODY knows 350's like these guys...you've ended up exactly where you need to be!!! i look forward to following this one.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
geeto just hung himself over the prospect of another flat black paint job.

i'm wondering how far you can throw those highway/crash bars if you tried really hard?

i'm also wondering......clipons or clubmans?

geeto is twiching, feet and legs spazzing, neck is getting tighter......

good luck!

tex

p.s.- i am in a very weird mood.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
geeto just hung himself over the prospect of another flat black paint job.

i'm wondering how far you can throw those highway/crash bars if you tried really hard?

i'm also wondering......clipons or clubmans?

geeto is twiching, feet and legs spazzing, neck is getting tighter......

good luck!

tex

p.s.- i am in a very weird mood.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hooray another '70 350!!! ask lots of questions and maybe I can steal some of the answers. Welcome, there is lots of info already so do some searches.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hooray another '70 350!!! ask lots of questions and maybe I can steal some of the answers. Welcome, there is lots of info already so do some searches.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
those crash bars will be thrown far far away. it's definitely not going to be flat black. if anything satin black...maybe like 70% gloss. as of right now i'm thinking gold frame, black tank, and anything that can be polished will be. maybe??? i'm not sure. give me some ideas. when i get back home to my other computer i'm going to mess around with photoshop a bit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
those crash bars will be thrown far far away. it's definitely not going to be flat black. if anything satin black...maybe like 70% gloss. as of right now i'm thinking gold frame, black tank, and anything that can be polished will be. maybe??? i'm not sure. give me some ideas. when i get back home to my other computer i'm going to mess around with photoshop a bit.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Black is like the Model-T color of all early Hondas and I have one like that today myself. That's why my current build will be painted ruby red. Nothing wrong with other colors. If you check through previous postings under this general section, there were two cb350 painted with two-tone colors that looks fantastic. One was blue and white, I think the other was red and white.

So if your thinking new paint - check out a two-tone paint scheme.

food for thought...

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Black is like the Model-T color of all early Hondas and I have one like that today myself. That's why my current build will be painted ruby red. Nothing wrong with other colors. If you check through previous postings under this general section, there were two cb350 painted with two-tone colors that looks fantastic. One was blue and white, I think the other was red and white.

So if your thinking new paint - check out a two-tone paint scheme.

food for thought...

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
that's the noise you make when the doc checks you for a hernia.....

but ya gotta have some balls joesy!

cheers,

tex

1 - 20 of 66 Posts