Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am starting to put together a race bike for the USCRA Formula CB350 class.
I have a 1969 cb350, and am trying to figure out what front end I should put on it.
Was thinking of cb500T front end but they are not easy to come by. So I am thinking
of using the front end from another cb that has 35mm forks. Any suggestions?
Also would love any advice/tips anyone wants to give me.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Easy fix for instant satisfaction.Buy it now price on a set of XL350 forks and triple clamps on e bay $124.99.Not mine ,I just did a quick search. 35 mm,double bolts on the lower clamp and four bolts to pinch the axle at the bottom of each leg. I have run these type forks on my FCB for about the last four years. Easy fit just buy the tapered bearing set,or not if your bearings are in good shape and fit a cb450 or cb77 hub.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Easy fix for instant satisfaction.Buy it now price on a set of XL350 forks and triple clamps on e bay $124.99.Not mine ,I just did a quick search. 35 mm,double bolts on the lower clamp and four bolts to pinch the axle at the bottom of each leg. I have run these type forks on my FCB for about the last four years. Easy fit just buy the tapered bearing set,or not if your bearings are in good shape and fit a cb450 or cb77 hub.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:Originally posted by lonewolf

Great Thanks a lot, is there much difference between the xl350 front end and the cb500T performance wise? Also you are saying I couldn't use my 69 cb350 front wheel/drum with the xl350 front end?
Thanks again I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Great Thanks a lot, is there much difference between the xl350 front end and the cb500T performance wise? Also you are saying I couldn't use my 69 cb350 front wheel/drum with the xl350 front end?
Thanks again I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Putting the forks on your frame should be no problem. I would think that you could adapt a stock cb 350 wheel to the xl forks. You may have to come up with spacers if the space between the fork legs isn't the same. You will have to come up with a brake stay possibly.This type of stuff will be common place if you start mixing and matching. Do you have any kind of fabrication skills? Or friends that do? If you hang out here for awhile you may find a lot of folks on here in your area. There were several 350 racer projects on here try to search them out. Two members I can think of are Keith 99 and I think it's Ron Bloker,lots of details. This was a cb350 racer haven ask reasonable questions and you will be able to get some pretty good advice. Are you new to racing? The more people know the better they can answer your questions.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Putting the forks on your frame should be no problem. I would think that you could adapt a stock cb 350 wheel to the xl forks. You may have to come up with spacers if the space between the fork legs isn't the same. You will have to come up with a brake stay possibly.This type of stuff will be common place if you start mixing and matching. Do you have any kind of fabrication skills? Or friends that do? If you hang out here for awhile you may find a lot of folks on here in your area. There were several 350 racer projects on here try to search them out. Two members I can think of are Keith 99 and I think it's Ron Bloker,lots of details. This was a cb350 racer haven ask reasonable questions and you will be able to get some pretty good advice. Are you new to racing? The more people know the better they can answer your questions.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
That XL fork has no traditional brake stay mount so you must make one. The axle is parts from 2 different Hondas. I don't know which 2. I had a whole bin of axles and juggled until I found a combination that worked.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
That XL fork has no traditional brake stay mount so you must make one. The axle is parts from 2 different Hondas. I don't know which 2. I had a whole bin of axles and juggled until I found a combination that worked.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Do you have any kind of fabrication skills? Or friends that do? If you hang out here for awhile you may find a lot of folks on here in your area.
Are you new to racing? The more people know the better they can answer your questions.

Lonewolf thanks for the advice, yes I am new to racing I am actually building this bike to take the uscra class. My fabrication skills are limited but I do have some experience, I can make spacers and fabricate other minor parts on the lathe. I have access a bridgeport mill and south bend lathe at my shop along with a full metal shop. Also have people that will help me out. Just not much time. Not sure the xl350 front end is the one I want, what would I need to fabricate for the brake stay?

Thanks everyone for the advice, keep it coming. I am in search of the front end now,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Do you have any kind of fabrication skills? Or friends that do? If you hang out here for awhile you may find a lot of folks on here in your area.
Are you new to racing? The more people know the better they can answer your questions.

Lonewolf thanks for the advice, yes I am new to racing I am actually building this bike to take the uscra class. My fabrication skills are limited but I do have some experience, I can make spacers and fabricate other minor parts on the lathe. I have access a bridgeport mill and south bend lathe at my shop along with a full metal shop. Also have people that will help me out. Just not much time. Not sure the xl350 front end is the one I want, what would I need to fabricate for the brake stay?

Thanks everyone for the advice, keep it coming. I am in search of the front end now,

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
cb550. easy and lots of em out there. youll need to make axle spacers. i cant find the threads, tons of them here, but i like to grind out the welds, then press the stems out of the lower clamps. then swap em. then you just drop the bearings on. no messing with shims or spacer or anything. youll need to cut off the steering stop and make new ones on the frame.

not sure what the cheap brake is now a days. used to be cb450. you could get them for 50 bucks or less back when i was searching. but ive gone buffalo now.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
cb550. easy and lots of em out there. youll need to make axle spacers. i cant find the threads, tons of them here, but i like to grind out the welds, then press the stems out of the lower clamps. then swap em. then you just drop the bearings on. no messing with shims or spacer or anything. youll need to cut off the steering stop and make new ones on the frame.

not sure what the cheap brake is now a days. used to be cb450. you could get them for 50 bucks or less back when i was searching. but ive gone buffalo now.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
hey travis, are you the reason rosko is calling me???

queens is nice. spent some time there last summer. awesome part of ny.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts