Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
hey travis, are you the reason rosko is calling me???

queens is nice. spent some time there last summer. awesome part of ny.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Let's take a step back for a minute. The USCRA school is August 18th. You don't have a lot of time to jerk around with trying to make your final fork selection and new front brake selection. Change the fluids in the bike as it sits. Make sure all the cables are in good shape. Tune it completely so it's running 100%. Throw some rear sets and clip-ons on it. Safety wire everything. Including stuff you don't think needs to be safety wired. Take the school on a completely stock bike and have fun. Then change it when you've got more time.

You try to get a new brake at this point and send it to Vintage Brake - or anywhere - to get the drum turned and you'll never get it back in time for your race school.

Just my advice.

Craig

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Let's take a step back for a minute. The USCRA school is August 18th. You don't have a lot of time to jerk around with trying to make your final fork selection and new front brake selection. Change the fluids in the bike as it sits. Make sure all the cables are in good shape. Tune it completely so it's running 100%. Throw some rear sets and clip-ons on it. Safety wire everything. Including stuff you don't think needs to be safety wired. Take the school on a completely stock bike and have fun. Then change it when you've got more time.

You try to get a new brake at this point and send it to Vintage Brake - or anywhere - to get the drum turned and you'll never get it back in time for your race school.

Just my advice.

Craig

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
id say this is a next season project. i mean....just guessing.....

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
id say this is a next season project. i mean....just guessing.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Joe C
I don't think Rosko is calling you about me, unless he hasn't mentioned it to me.
Thanks for the advice, I am on the hunt for a cb550 front end.
Next season before I get all the mods on for sure, but would like to get the bike ready stock for the school in the meantime.

Craig641
Yes I have already taken a step back :) and am not planning on doing all these mods before the class. Trying to do exactly what you recommending, just a couple issues so far maybe you can help. As for the clip ons on a 1969 cb350, the top part of my forks where the clip-ons would clip on are tapered since my bike has the external fork springs. Any tips on putting clip ons on my bike? Then any recommendations on rear sets? I see a few different types on Ebay, not sure which are better or will be easier to just mount to my 350.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Joe C
I don't think Rosko is calling you about me, unless he hasn't mentioned it to me.
Thanks for the advice, I am on the hunt for a cb550 front end.
Next season before I get all the mods on for sure, but would like to get the bike ready stock for the school in the meantime.

Craig641
Yes I have already taken a step back :) and am not planning on doing all these mods before the class. Trying to do exactly what you recommending, just a couple issues so far maybe you can help. As for the clip ons on a 1969 cb350, the top part of my forks where the clip-ons would clip on are tapered since my bike has the external fork springs. Any tips on putting clip ons on my bike? Then any recommendations on rear sets? I see a few different types on Ebay, not sure which are better or will be easier to just mount to my 350.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
You may want to look into clubmans to get you started. Upgrade to clip-ons when you get the forks you finally want. That'll save you from buying two different sizes of clip-ons. I got a set of rearsets from this place - http://www.loadedguncustoms.com/shop I use them on my Bridgestone and they seem to work pretty well. You can probably find cheaper on ebay from a modern bike but this is an easy solution.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
You may want to look into clubmans to get you started. Upgrade to clip-ons when you get the forks you finally want. That'll save you from buying two different sizes of clip-ons. I got a set of rearsets from this place - http://www.loadedguncustoms.com/shop I use them on my Bridgestone and they seem to work pretty well. You can probably find cheaper on ebay from a modern bike but this is an easy solution.

·
Registered
893 Posts
hey travis, glad to see you are building the bike!

dont forget, you can walk to my garage from yours...

markus

·
Registered
893 Posts
hey travis, glad to see you are building the bike!

dont forget, you can walk to my garage from yours...

markus

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Travis, Hard to describe the brake stay I have and the front fender hides most of it so a picture is so easy either. If you are in the company of Markus and Rosko you are in good hands as far as advice goes.Much easier to understand descriptions in person than reading 150 words of someones gobbldy gook. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Travis, Hard to describe the brake stay I have and the front fender hides most of it so a picture is so easy either. If you are in the company of Markus and Rosko you are in good hands as far as advice goes.Much easier to understand descriptions in person than reading 150 words of someones gobbldy gook. Good luck.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
yep. craigs got the right idea for sure. clubmans or go with some superbike bars even. (im a sucker for a vintage racer with superbike bars. just look period and cool). if you go with cb550, or 750, or 500 forks, they are 35mm. so youll be tossing a good part of whatever you get for clipons when you make that change. if you find a good deal on some 32mm, the clipons go between the clamps. the taper wont matter.

my advice is to use the basic template of other people. or someone nearby. its not going to be what you will end up with as the final product as you will figure out what works for you and what you like. but someone who has had the track time (ie, bench time, haha.....ill never forget that dude marcus next garage over at mid o a few years ago....) is an incredibly valuable resource. mike o helped me tons. and i still made plenty of mistakes. i think its safe to say when we were all new at this, we all did some dumb things. some of us still are!

so any help markus is willing to give you, take it. rosko too. or any of the other nyc guys for that matter. there are a ton of you!

welcome to the fray!

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
yep. craigs got the right idea for sure. clubmans or go with some superbike bars even. (im a sucker for a vintage racer with superbike bars. just look period and cool). if you go with cb550, or 750, or 500 forks, they are 35mm. so youll be tossing a good part of whatever you get for clipons when you make that change. if you find a good deal on some 32mm, the clipons go between the clamps. the taper wont matter.

my advice is to use the basic template of other people. or someone nearby. its not going to be what you will end up with as the final product as you will figure out what works for you and what you like. but someone who has had the track time (ie, bench time, haha.....ill never forget that dude marcus next garage over at mid o a few years ago....) is an incredibly valuable resource. mike o helped me tons. and i still made plenty of mistakes. i think its safe to say when we were all new at this, we all did some dumb things. some of us still are!

so any help markus is willing to give you, take it. rosko too. or any of the other nyc guys for that matter. there are a ton of you!

welcome to the fray!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Marcus
I won't forget, see you tomorrow night !

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I will keep you posted on my progress.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Marcus
I won't forget, see you tomorrow night !

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I will keep you posted on my progress.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Markus came by and help me try and trouble shoot a couple issues. Thanks Markus.
He mentioned needing a starter plug/cover if I want to pull my starter out? I was wondering if anyone happens to have one or knows of a place to get one?
Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Markus came by and help me try and trouble shoot a couple issues. Thanks Markus.
He mentioned needing a starter plug/cover if I want to pull my starter out? I was wondering if anyone happens to have one or knows of a place to get one?
Thanks

·
Registered
623 Posts
You can go real low-tech to plug the starter hole. I got a rubber expansion plug from an auto parts store for about 3 bucks. Haven't had a problem in 5 years.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts