Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
You can go real low-tech to plug the starter hole. I got a rubber expansion plug from an auto parts store for about 3 bucks. Haven't had a problem in 5 years.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
crazypj here was making them. google should give you quite a few results.

bills solution works too. or an inspection plug from homedepot. besure to wire it in too.

if you know someone who has access to a lathe, have a plug turned, tap a hole in the back, put a plate over it, and bolt it in. easy peasey japanesy

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
crazypj here was making them. google should give you quite a few results.

bills solution works too. or an inspection plug from homedepot. besure to wire it in too.

if you know someone who has access to a lathe, have a plug turned, tap a hole in the back, put a plate over it, and bolt it in. easy peasey japanesy

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
those are great. i didnt know they were in ny though. or maybe i just forgot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
quote:Originally posted by ROSKO

mg innovative- starter plug and stainless bolt kits cheap and based in NY.
Thanks Rosko, where might I find there products? I searched but no luck. Do they have a website?

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I'd leave the starter in and functioning. I also would run the stock forks and brake until you know that those are the things which are slowing your lap times down. Get the bike safe and running perfectly and get on the track. Then worry about making performance mods. Spend your money on track time and safety equipment.

Ken

P.S. I hate to say it but Clancypants is right. Get a set of superbike bars and go racing.

K

·
Registered
965 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Livetoskate

quote:Originally posted by ROSKO

mg innovative- starter plug and stainless bolt kits cheap and based in NY.
Thanks Rosko, where might I find there products? I searched but no luck. Do they have a website?
The website stopped working about 2 years ago. I assume it's because they're no longer in business..... Here's their old contact info if you want but no guarantees it'll work.

MG Innovative Products, Inc.
2930 Cherry Street
Erie, PA  16508

www.MGInProducts.com

[email protected]

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
Bought a bike off that dude a couple years ago. He was having some health issues. Shame as he was super nice and had a SICK collection of bikes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Craig's right, TRACK TIME. As for rear sets, I use the passanger mounts with Woodcraft peg & spacers. I find (2) Honda CBR929 shift pedals on ebay. Drill out one shift link at the pedal. Flip the brake drum arm up and fit the rod, you may need to run a tap, or is it dye up the rod to give it more adjustment. The pedal end fits with no mods, done. The second shift pedal gets used as the shifter. Cut off the arm at the base and reweld it on top. The last part is the shift linkage, it should come with the shifters you bought. To make the rod long enough cut the rod in half and tap both ends. Use alum. round stock, drill, tap, lock tight both ends, done. On my CB350 I still run stock forks, brakes and points with total loss battery. I guess if you jump to LWSV you should upgrade. See you at the Track.
Bob Cam

·
Registered
965 Posts
Speaking as someone who was undecided early on and then decided to go racing by taking the long path to build a CB350 and then spent the past 4 years tinkering in the garage instead of racing, I agree with Craig and Bob and everyone else who says do just the basics and then make incremental mods along the way as needed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Well I made it up to the track this weekend and didn't stop working on the bike the whole time. Got the bike ready just in time to take the class and then again to squeeze my first
race in on Sunday. Thanks for all the advice. Now I will be getting the bike ready for the spring race since I won't be able to make it to the Labor day race. I know I have plenty to improve on
the bike thats for sure!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well I made it up to the track this weekend and didn't stop working on the bike the whole time. Got the bike ready just in time to take the class and then again to squeeze my first
race in on Sunday. Thanks for all the advice. Now I will be getting the bike ready for the spring race since I won't be able to make it to the Labor day race. I know I have plenty to improve on
the bike thats for sure!!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts