Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, would a few of you mind measuring your front engine case seam, at the middle of the cases, to the ground? then postin it here? either there is something waay retarded with my building style or my bike is way to light. im getting 14" to the seam from the ground. with a 90 90 dunlop front and 110 avon rear and stock cb swingarm. thats with a 750 front with 550 trees pulled about 1.25" through the top clamp. the bike pretty much sits level. i will try and get a seat height tomorrow as i forgot today in my fit of rage over the stupid height. and thats dry. with 12.75" rear shocks. tom t's is 12". (he has really short rear shocks though) im going to measure chris m's bike tomorrow. ive been trying to build the lowest bike i can and im pretty sure this one is taller than the last one!

thanks people

jc

"tex, if your bikes a cheater, its not a very good one"

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was going to switch to 17's and run 125 rains. that way all my race bikes will use them.

ya get that motor yet?

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
at least you didnt find all that in your living room!

jc

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
yeah, i'm gonna drive by and launch it through the window...sans the K0 cam and rockers. soto will supply all the striped bolts you'll need to fix it up.
-tt

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
dude

get your guitar jams organized and save your beer money...we only have a week or so

matt

latered

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dont any of you have a tape measure?

i measured up chris' bike today. 13.75 to the seam. with an sl swingarm, 13.25" shocks, dunlop front, dunlop rear and the marzochi forks flush with the 750 top clamp. 28" top pinch to axle center. his bike sit level.

so i should be really close to that. although hes got the longer swing arm.

jc

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
jc,

Mines at 14 1/4. But that's with a non-stock frame so I'm not sure that's a help. Just curious, why are you trying to get it down to 12". That would seem like you'd be dragging a bunch of stuff in the corners. Isn't what you're looking for a level line from the countershaft sprocket through the swingarm pivot to the rear axle? If that's level that's about as good as you're gonna get.

Craig

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
12" caused alot of problems. its like that because he has such short shocks in the rear and it needed to be dropped in the front to get the thing to turn. bucky and chris both had big complaints about it not turning. and yes, it does drag on high turtles. (like nhis has) im not trying to get it that low. i was just using it as a frame of reference. well, one of many, i was hoping. as it turns out, my bike is about the average. although, my old bike seemed very very high, to me and other people. i never measured it, but i didnt want it to happen again. it could have been a few things with the old setup. the seat for one. im going to take a bunch more measurements and see how mine is shaping up against chris'. whats not stock about your frame craig? just curious. the line from my sprocket to my rear axle is pretty straight. im supposed to be shooting for about 3/8'-1/2" max free sag right? i think its all come together right, its just i started looking at it on the bench with everything on it and it looked taller than my old bike. which scared me a little! plus i think a bunch of dimensions for that bike couldnt hurt. especially ones that are worked out. like yours. and chris'. so it sounds like im doing pretty good. alot of people seem to go on about motors, and exhausts, but leave out the fact that it has to handle good too. and that seems like its more difficult to sort out since there are so many things at play. (rider weight, suspension, riding style, etc etc etc.) ive really begun to like how chris' bike handles, so im trying to get close to that as far as dimensions. one thing ive noticed with the longer swingarm, it doesnt wheelie off the start like mine would. that seems like a huge benefit. i shoulda done the sl swingarm.

jc

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I'm with you. The changes I'm working on this week are suspension related: lighter springs in the rear and heavier oil/ spring pre-load spacer up front.

I measured my seam height, 14". It'll probably go down a smidge when I put the lighter springs on... static sag?

countershaft sprocket to rear axle level? never heard that. I'll have to check.

TT, get yo ass to NYC.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
jc,

I've got a brand new frame for my bike. Went with Framecrafters and had them custom make a Seely replica frame for my cb350 motor. Not even close to stock at this point. Very light. Handles like a dream. Now I just need to become as fast as my bike.

I thought my bike was set up with sag closer to one inch. I think 23mm. But I'm supposed to be working right now so I can't get to the garage and check. I can look tonight. I told Tannermatic that he'd like the SL swingarm but he didn't believe me.

Craig

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
craig, id love to see a pic of it. although i should be able to see it in person soon. thats very very cool though.

jc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts