Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm having an issue with my CB350 rear wheel. I'm wondering if I forgot something when I rebuilt it, but hoping i didn't, and keeping my fingers crossed that i'm just reinstalling it wrong. however, i cannot find anything i'm doing wrong compared to the manual. Here's my situation:

Complete disassembly and reassembly of rear wheel. ripped old wheel completely down, removed all brake parts, removed bearings and assoiated collars and bushings. Pressed new bearings in, including the notoriously-lost bearing collar and spacer bushing. just reinstalled new shoes and springs. i don't have a rim on yet, waiting for parts from Buchanan's, so i'm working solely with hub and brake. when i install the hub, i'm pushing the axle from brake side, through tensioner bracket and swingarm, bushing, into brake plate, through bearings, bushing on chain side, tensioner bracket & swingarm, and nut and washer outside swingarm. When i torque the nut to roughly 1/2 spec'd torque (~30ft-lb), the hub will not rotate. am i missing something?

Each bearing appears to be flushly mounted, and there's a little bit of slop in spacing bushing (part 7 in pic). the brake-side bushing (part 3) is flush with the brake plate, and the drive-side bushing (part 5) is flush with the bearing's inner sleeve.

any ideas on why i'm binding up?

2015_03_14 Rear Brake.PNG 2015_03_14 Rear Wheel.PNG

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
....there's a little bit of slop in spacing bushing (part 7 in pic)....
That is the spacer between the bearing centres. If there is play there the axle will push the bearing inner races and they will bind.

Check the manual - seeing as there is an adjustable bearing retainer I'd assume you drive the other side bearing home and then adjust the retainer side to suit.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
If the bearings aren't pressed fully home, that is all the way to the retaining step in the hub's bearing mounting, they will bind. There shouldn't be so much play for the #7 spacer, that it flops around.

Bearings should be pressed in with a hydraulic workshop press, or big hammer and a brass or wooden drift that hits on the outside of the bearing, that is the outside bearing race. You DO NOT install bearings like this by hitting in the centre, it can wreck them easily.

God knows why Honda used those damn ally threaded hub bearing retainers!

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
I had a problem like that once and it turned out to be the brake shoes.
Maybe try removing the shoes and re-assemble, possibly the binding will go away until the shoes are installed ?:I

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. Blow torch, 5# sledge, and enormous socket solved the problem. thank again for the help!

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
thanks guys. Blow torch, 5# sledge, and enormous socket solved the problem. thank again for the help!
It's a professional M/C engineering secret: Hitting the crap out of things with hammers" WORKS!

- Yes Mary, we treated your little Ducati with kid gloves, kind words and a little prayer.

serie_biff.jpg

Danger, is my business."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts