Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1971K3 motor is being rebuilt and I had it all together and it will not rotate a full 720 crank deg. I can rotate it ccw until the
right exhaust valve opens an almost R top and I can rotate it cw until the left exhust vavle opens and almost left top.

The pistons are in correctly the arrow is pointing tward the exhaust valves or what honda call up.

I did have the head resurfaced and I don't know what they took off.

I suspect it is the resurfacing.

The timing looked right, same cam but different stock rockers (1972), the rockers were set at there loosest sertting. HELP

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
the valve clearance on that engine was pretty wide, there's no way skimming the head will cause contact unless they took off an eighth or something. also, it sounds like you're trying to run a stock sprocket on the cam and a skimmed head? I'm assuming you know you'll need to slot it so you can redegree the cam properly to make up for the difference in timing now? also, you need to check the rockers against what came out of the engine, I think the 71 and 72 were exactly the same, but I know the type 1 and others were different, so that's possible, but it's likely you have the cam installed improperly

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
the valve clearance on that engine was pretty wide, there's no way skimming the head will cause contact unless they took off an eighth or something. also, it sounds like you're trying to run a stock sprocket on the cam and a skimmed head? I'm assuming you know you'll need to slot it so you can redegree the cam properly to make up for the difference in timing now? also, you need to check the rockers against what came out of the engine, I think the 71 and 72 were exactly the same, but I know the type 1 and others were different, so that's possible, but it's likely you have the cam installed improperly

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANK YOU FOR THE RESPONCE, I WILL CHECK EVERY THING AGAIN.

YOU TALK ABOUT SLOTING, WHAT AND HOW AND WHY AGAIN, I AM NEW AT
THE 350?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANK YOU FOR THE RESPONCE, I WILL CHECK EVERY THING AGAIN.

YOU TALK ABOUT SLOTING, WHAT AND HOW AND WHY AGAIN, I AM NEW AT
THE 350?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
as the head moves downward (skimmed) it will introduce slack in the cam chain. Tensioner can take this away but it doesn't tighten the chain on both sides thus the cam rotates slightly. Slotting means filing or otherwise modifying the bolt holes wider on the cam sprocket so that it can be slightly adjusted.

something like that.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
as the head moves downward (skimmed) it will introduce slack in the cam chain. Tensioner can take this away but it doesn't tighten the chain on both sides thus the cam rotates slightly. Slotting means filing or otherwise modifying the bolt holes wider on the cam sprocket so that it can be slightly adjusted.

something like that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all, that had constructive/helpful comments.
I did put the cam gear on with the cam indexing
Letter, ”L” facing the right side instead of the
left side, the machine rotates fine now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all, that had constructive/helpful comments.
I did put the cam gear on with the cam indexing
Letter, ”L” facing the right side instead of the
left side, the machine rotates fine now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts