Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd just like to get some real-world top speed numbers from owners of CB350 twins. I have a '72 with the following engine mods: Type-1 cam, VM32 Mikunis, big K&N pods, aftermarket shorty mufflers. The fastest I can get her to go is 95mph. It seems that I should have a bit more speed. What are other peoples' CB350s turning?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
What gearing do you have? At what RPM are you making 95?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the stock gearing. I don't remember what the exact ratio is, but 95mph equals 9500 rpm. The indicated redline is 9000, but I routinely rev my motor to 10,000 and the powerband is still climbing.

Hey imslow, what mods does your bike have? They certainly don't go 134 in stock trim.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I guess I should have asked the modifications of the bikes to go along with the speeds. My bike is pretty stock, and though I think I should be able to get a bit more than 95 out of it, I don't expect anywhere near 130 or 140. I know that it would take some serious mods to get a CB350 to the power levels needed to reach these speeds. Does anyone have a stock(ish) CB350 that can tell me the top speed? I am curious what engine mods are needed to hit 130mph, though.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps it's rude of me to ask a question then question the answers, but these speeds don't add up. If a 60hp '72 H1 tops out around 130, how can a 36hp '72 CB350 do the same?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
the stutter box on mine kicks in at 147

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Hopefully rosko can do more if we can get him maxton with his race bike and a rear sprocket that is the size of a teacup saucer.....

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
oh and by the way, a 1972 h1 does not top out at 130 without some serious streamlining mods. The bike is powerful but the aerodynamics are shit, really the top speed you will see is 105-110, if you are banking on the speedo being accurate at top end on an h1 it isn't.

Also as someone who has actually been over 100 mph on an h1 - I do not recommend it without two things: a clean pair of underware and a really good primal yell. It also helps if you have such a short term memory that you don't remember that two strokes occasionally seize for no reason and without warning.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Geeto,

If my cb350 can go 142 and hacks can go 147 before his stutter box kicks in then I'm sure sid can get 130 out of his h1.

Craig

·
Registered
692 Posts
You guys gotta tell what you did to get that type of performance out of a 30+yr old 350cc twin. Sounds impressive . And pretty fucking hairy might I add . :D Oh , is that in kph or mph ?

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
You guys are all a bunch of liars. I get 73 for top end and I'm faster than Tex.

Ken

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I've been pissin' into the wind all these years. I could have just bought a CB350 and had a close to 150 bike. What a fool I've been.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Amen on the clean undies...I locked up the RD sunday at 97mph...not real cool. on that CB though, you should easily be able to get into the 130's...i mean, my RD400 two stroke STRUGGLES to get over 100, hell, struggles to do anything over 85, but i bet since you have a honda...you're gonna have better opportunity to hop it up to get into the 120's or so.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
If you do a search on youtube you'll find a video of Jason McVicar stepping off his tubo'ed Busa at 243mph after the rear tire blows. Why did it blow? Drag and HP overcoming traction and the resulting tire spin shredded the tire. This is with approx. 80lbs. of lead bolted to the swing arm to increase traction. He walked away from the crash. Luckier than a lotto winner.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts