Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Tex, Joe,
we start work on Craigs bike for next season next week... We have a surplus of titanium at the lab and we're putting both bike and rider on a diet.

Peace
karl

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i have a feeling craig will have his issues worked out next year, and we'll all be done for! i want to see craig lap me at summit, so i can have another look at that kick ass bike!

jc

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
quote:Originally posted by ttilghman

sid,

call nancy, she'll tell the truth. just so you know, rosko is the only one on this thread that doesn't have his tongue in his cheek. a stock CB350 (any many of us here race them) will make about 28hp max, so your 36 is a mistake...i promise. and that kind of hp will get you close to 100mph....maybe.

IMSLOW and craig have very nicely built CB350 engines (everything modified) and are likely in the low 40s hp range and could easily crack 100mph...but it's cornerspeed that matters anyway.

it sounds like your bike is right where it should be. it's mostly thought that carb and header/exhaust mods don't change Hp very much at all as the valves are the primary limiting factor to Hp gains. so if you want to go faster in a straight line, which is kinda boring anyway, you'll have to build the engine.

oh, and you should ask craig for pics of his bike....it's awesome.

-tt
Are you running stock bars or clip-on's?

I've built quite a few CB350's that make about 34bhp a rear wheel.
The 36hp Honda quote is at crank without generator or primary gears
My CB378 was making 35.48bhp at wheel, stock cam, stock carbs, no air filters, no silencer, 2 into one pipe (3mm overbore and ported)
http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42&p=119#p119
scroll down page to see printout
Major problem is clutch slip (it is 34yrs old, I should open it up and take a look at it)
Getting a dyno run next week with modified exhaust (quiet)and modded jetting. Will post up in projects section
BTW,ROSKO,
if you can get mid 90's from a 380 lb. bike with 28 hp what can you get from a 46 hp bike weighing 280?
weight has nothing to do with top speed, it only affects acceleration (unless your going uphill) :D
PJ

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I'm shooting for 48ish RWHP on my build, which, fully faired, should be good for about 120mph, give or take 3 mph.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Hi Mark,
48 bhp is do-able but takes a lot of time and money (and its real high maintenance with good chance of major blow up)
You fitting aftermarket rods?
I wouldn't risk more than 38~40bhp with stock Honda ones
PJ

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Yes, aftermarket rods, balanced lightened crank, everything matched weight wise.
I have Mike Reicks port and polish, 1mm over intake valves, kibblewhite stainless valves, HD springs with Ti retainers, special valve guides, running hottest cam, HD cam chain, teflon cam chain tensioner, overbored to 354cc, etc etc etc.
Yes, it may blow up, but I'm not going ot be running super high compression. If it blows up I'll rebuild it slightly detuned and try again.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
The rest of what?

The track is PIR. Nearly 1 mile long front straight.

Does the best work for what? The people I have working on my stuff are pretty fuckin incredible. One of the machinests was Hennings.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I'll be having the rods made, though I've heard numerous times that stock, if balanced, peened and polished are good up to 14k. I'll post prices for additional rods if anyone is interested when I do it. Won't be doing this til I get back to Portland. Could be as long as another 5 months.
Crank prolly being done by a guy in Massachusetts, name of Zint at Materpiece Balancing.
I need to talk to him. Price looks pretty damned good.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
oh, sorry, i thought you had a typo there. mike rich does all the fast heads.

todd used a few people for various things at differing times. i know early on, he used acs specialties and they sponsored him. then he also used the same guy who makes all of the woodcraft stuff.

i know he did his own flow work, so im guessing later on, he was probably doing his own porting. others here would know more as i was building stockers then and was only past his place once or twice. (i heard all the good stuff was in his basement!) i also know kc worked with him early on.

stock rods are good for up to the speeds youll be able to turn that motor to. whos pistons??

what are you doing for an ig?

curious minds want to know!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
quote:Originally posted by mlinder

I'll be having the rods made,
Hey Mark - does your rod maker only mfg CB350 rods or will they custom build other types too? I ask because Suzuki T500 rods have become unobtainum lately and it would be nice to have an option...

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Joe:

I kinda figured they would be fine. Perhaps I'll save my self a a big chunk of money by just peening and polishing.
Mike Reick also makes very fast heads, though he specializes in SOHC hondas. With the work I've seen of his though, I think it's as good as anyones, maybe better.

My ignition is a transistorized points system, from a guy named Mark Paris in Colorado. I've heard the plastic bits of electronic ignitions tend to deteriorate in the 350twins, and the testing done on Marks stuff looks effin great, very nice stuff.
I havent decided on coils yet, so if you have suggestions, let me know.
The pistons are wisecos, 67mm. I'll be controlling compression with various width gaskets.

Rosko:

It's in about a hundred pieces right now. It's also 1600 miles away, as I'm in a different state for my physical therapy (near-death motorcycle accident). I promise pics when I get back to Portland and am working on it again.

Jim:

No, but they'd need exact specs of the rods you need, being able to send them a stock one would be good, and running 1 or 2 sets will set you back thousands.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts