Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
unless you want to die you should leave the front break. i believe the number from the motofun course is something like 75% of your breaking should be on the front wheel and these bikes are plenty fast to require them both. if you want better breaking for the front get the shoes resurfaced with modern material.

what year is your bike? and what's wrong with the carbs you have right now to warrant a new set?

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm with Snorkelfork, you are asking for trouble by removing your front brake.
Have you taken the Basic Riders Training Rider's Course before? If not, I highly recommend it. It should be available in your state and usually, when you take it, you are essentially certified to go to your DMV to instantly get your endorsement.
The point I'm trying to make is that the class is so super informative and talks a lot about different points on your bike that you may have questions about. Brakes, for instance, front brakes take the brunt of the force, I think 75%, like Snorkel said above. Removing them would be like playing Russian Roulette. Also, about your drum brakes, as long as your shoes are made with modern materials and adjusted properly, they will be just fine. They aren't as good in the rain, but who wants to ride in the rain anyway? From what I heard, you'll spend more than the bike is worth in time and money by trying to convert to disc brakes.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!!

PS: Have you purchased a Clymer or Chilton's yet for your bike? If not, get one, they help a lot!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts