Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which bike is faster? which bike has more potential?
which one handles better?

i've been assuming that the cb350 is faster as they are more widely raced. they also have a better looking engine (not that that will make it faster, but for whatever its worth i think its mo-better.)

looks like lots of parts interchange too.

somebody get long winded and learn us something!

·
Registered
57 Posts
IM ASSUMING THAT YOUR TALKING 2CYL CB350.THE CB360 WAS MORE OF THE COMUTER BIKE AND THE FRAME WAS LESS STIFF/ANGLES WERE DIFF?THE CB350 WAS A BETTER BIKE ALL AROUND.FASTER AND HANDLED BETTER. BOTH GOOD BIKES BUT I WOULD STAY WITH THE CB/CL 350.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Actually the 360 is faster and the frame is much better. The reason the 360's are not as popular now is that they were not as popular at the time. Simply put there are not as many spares or aftermarket parts. They made 250,000 cb350's, 70,000 in 1972 alone. It may be one of honda's most popular motorcycles EVER. Parts bikes are a dime a dozen. The 360 only ran a few years. As for racing... the cb350 has only been allowed into vintage racing classes under very specific rules, which would exclude the 360. The only exception to that would be the USCRA's FCB class which is a stock class for the 350 AND 360 twins. Honestly I don't know why they are not on the track, it would kick some serious ass with that 6 speed tranny.

·
Registered
57 Posts
well there you go.i would take i from rosko seems he has more track time.1 lap is 1 more than me.im just going on what ive done and seen

·
Registered
347 Posts
i seem to remember that the 360 would allow it's oil pump to unscrew itself from it's housing under prolonged load and cause catastrophic seizures.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Think of the cb350 as 1/2 a hotrodded big bore 750 with 1/4 the weight.

Think of the 360 as the bike that you always see in urban areas with a milk crate roped to the luggage rack.

any questions.....

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Scott,
the 350's can do that too. Safety wire!

Geet,
I agree. BUT, it would make a good platform for someone who was only going to race with USCRA at NHMS. In the stock class it would have a few advantages, 354cc for one (as oposed to the 325 for the 350), stock frame is braced where the 350 needed it, and it has a nice spread 6 speed.

But you'd have to build a machine to only run 4 races a year. With WERA it doesn't really fit into any good classes, AHRMA may be different.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
mike o ran a 360 for years. and did pretty well on it. and we endurance raced it, several times. id bet the 360 has more potential than the 350, but no ones done it. the reason the 350 was developed was because of the years it was made. it fell into a nice little niche.

the 360 i thought was actually a cooler looking bike.

jc

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I think the 350 looks better; It has a better looking gas tank. I have read that the cb360 has the 6spd trans because Honda couldn't get that motor to produce as much horsepower as the cb350 - the bike it was replacing - and added the extra cog to make up for it. I have one of each, although my 350 isn't quite roadworthy yet. That said, I like my cb360 plenty. It's pretty peppy. Catboy rides it more than I do.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I had a CJ360 for a while and had a riot on that silly thing. Kickstart only, no provisions for electric, really light weight, factory 2/1 exhaust, it was fun. I've heard both, faster/slower than a 350.....dunno, it'd be nice to see a real world comparison between them, both equally tuned.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Judeyramone

I think the 350 looks better; It has a better looking gas tank. I have read that the cb360 has the 6spd trans because Honda couldn't get that motor to produce as much horsepower as the cb350 - the bike it was replacing - and added the extra cog to make up for it. I have one of each, although my 350 isn't quite roadworthy yet. That said, I like my cb360 plenty. It's pretty peppy. Catboy rides it more than I do.
I am not sure that makes sense since my CJ360 had a 5 speed and was kick only. It was a fast little fucker, and an awsome commuter bike.

the only difference I ever saw between them is the 350 is easier to wheelie - I mean it really accelerates like a bat outta hell when you want it to, the CJ wouldn't really do that.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I'm not claiming to be an expert, Geet. It's something I've read, more than once. Your observations about your cj might make me doubt it. I knew cj's had a 5spd, but never put it together. However, I've also read that the 360 motor responds to a 2-1 better than a cb350, and cb360s had a 2-2. Maybe that makes some difference, and minus 5-7lbs of starter?

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
As far as I'm aware, all the 360s, but the cj had 6spds.

But to reiterate, I'm not an expert.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
As far as I know the CJ360T was the only 360 to come with a 5 speed. It is the same case as the rest and you could rebuild it to fit a 6 speed but from the factory - 5 gears of fury. (T just means twin BTW and they were all "T"s).

As far as the exhaust, mine had 2 into 2 aftermarket head pipes and straight throw cheap ducati knock off mufflers (which were loud as fuck). It sounded way faster than it actually was and got the most compliments out of any of my bikes based on sound (until I bought the duc).

I think the CJ made up for any lack of ponies in the fact that it was also probably the lightest of the 360s. It came sans starter and heavy twin mufflers, and had a more judicious use of plastic than the cb/cl (the rear was almost all plastic from the seat pan and tail section to the fender - the grab rail held the taillight, the front fender was also plastic).

Nikki from brooklyn rides it now, There are days when I wish I had it back...until I start "humming fat guy in a little coat"....

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i cant remember....it was the cl, or cj, or cb, who the f knows? i do know this. the cl350 came in candy panther gold, and there is hardly a color cooler than that. but the 360 had a cool scallop on the tank.

jc

·
Registered
347 Posts
lol, i have the candy panther gold tank, its an odd color once it sunfades and crazes. the name is awesome though.

the 360 is only really legal for superbike light.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts