Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade the rear tire size on my bike to something a little fatter than the little 3.5" thing I have on there now, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I have no idea what hubs will fit on my bike or what I would have to do to make another fit, so I'm open to any and all suggestions here. I want to fill up the swingarm as much as possible(looks like there's about an inch on either side of the tire). I can't seem to find anyone who has done this yet, but I'm sure I'm not the first who has wanted to right? Here's a picture of what I'm working with for you guys-

What's the best way to upsize my width here?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Are you looking to widen the whole rim or just the tire?? You should be able to widen the tire on the stock rim. Not sure on the cb's cause I'm more of a Yamaha guy but you should be able to go to a 110 or 120 on the rear. Widest isn't always better when it comes to performance. I'd go with an Avon 110/80-18 or similar. If you get new tires with a more aggressive tread pattern it should look wider even if it isn't much wider.

Joe

·
Registered
93 Posts
Are you looking to widen the whole rim or just the tire?? You should be able to widen the tire on the stock rim. Not sure on the cb's cause I'm more of a Yamaha guy but you should be able to go to a 110 or 120 on the rear. Widest isn't always better when it comes to performance. I'd go with an Avon 110/80-18 or similar. If you get new tires with a more aggressive tread pattern it should look wider even if it isn't much wider.

Joe

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm hoping to widen the whole rim so that I can throw a fatter tire on there without stretching it too much. Has anyone tried to fit a cb750 rear wheel on one? If the axles are the same it would be nice to throw the whole thing on there, but my bike is snowed in and I can't find the 350 axle size online. If I could</u> wrangle a 750 wheel on there, has anyone tried to fit a 130/70-18 or 140/70-18 on one of those? There doesn't seem to be much available as far as tires for that width/rim size unless the sidewall is shorter than the normal 80/90 ratio.

And if I the hubs aren't the same, has anyone tried to use a spoke kit to match the 750 outer rim with the 350 hub? I haven't seen anyone try this, so maybe it's a dumb idea.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm hoping to widen the whole rim so that I can throw a fatter tire on there without stretching it too much. Has anyone tried to fit a cb750 rear wheel on one? If the axles are the same it would be nice to throw the whole thing on there, but my bike is snowed in and I can't find the 350 axle size online. If I could</u> wrangle a 750 wheel on there, has anyone tried to fit a 130/70-18 or 140/70-18 on one of those? There doesn't seem to be much available as far as tires for that width/rim size unless the sidewall is shorter than the normal 80/90 ratio.

And if I the hubs aren't the same, has anyone tried to use a spoke kit to match the 750 outer rim with the 350 hub? I haven't seen anyone try this, so maybe it's a dumb idea.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the biggest 18 you can fit is a 130 before it starts hitting things. you can get a 130 avon.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the biggest 18 you can fit is a 130 before it starts hitting things. you can get a 130 avon.

jc

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
does anyone know about a 16"? I've seen the 750 hub with a 16" harley rim strapped on it, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that not many people go through that kind of work for a little extra width...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
does anyone know about a 16"? I've seen the 750 hub with a 16" harley rim strapped on it, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that not many people go through that kind of work for a little extra width...

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
i'm going to wet blanket this one a bit....why a bigger tire? performance? it will slow you down in a straight line and probably make the handling a bit wonky. bigger tires are usually required to help handle an abundance of horsepower....not your problem i guess. if it's simply for styling purposes, who am i to argue with the orange county chopper look. those guys make more money on each bike (not to mention tv show) than i make in, well, a long time.
-parks
p.s....if you must...at least rebuild the wheel with a wider rim first

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
i'm going to wet blanket this one a bit....why a bigger tire? performance? it will slow you down in a straight line and probably make the handling a bit wonky. bigger tires are usually required to help handle an abundance of horsepower....not your problem i guess. if it's simply for styling purposes, who am i to argue with the orange county chopper look. those guys make more money on each bike (not to mention tv show) than i make in, well, a long time.
-parks
p.s....if you must...at least rebuild the wheel with a wider rim first

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
a 130 18 is as big as you can go with the stock rim. it will come very close to hitting things. trust me. yeah, thats the ticket....lace a 16 to the rear, then a 21 to the front! for some reason thking about the 750 rear i have out int he garage, it seems huge for the 350 swing arm. just me though.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
a 130 18 is as big as you can go with the stock rim. it will come very close to hitting things. trust me. yeah, thats the ticket....lace a 16 to the rear, then a 21 to the front! for some reason thking about the 750 rear i have out int he garage, it seems huge for the 350 swing arm. just me though.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
oh, and 2nd parks.

jc

Edited by - joe c on Dec 16 2007 10:49:09 PM

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
oh, and 2nd parks.

jc

Edited by - joe c on Dec 16 2007 10:49:09 PM

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any idea what rim I could lace up to my stock hub? I'm just doing this for looks, it seems like a bit of a waste to spend time squeezing every last bit of performance out of a slow machine in my opinion. I spent a few months putting this bike together, but I'm not happy with the quality of it so it's getting an overhaul and I would like to dress some things up on it, such as the wheels. I realize that putting looks over performance in some areas isn't very true to the idea of a cafe racer, but I'm the kind of guy that wants to see a hot rod more than a rat rod I guess.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any idea what rim I could lace up to my stock hub? I'm just doing this for looks, it seems like a bit of a waste to spend time squeezing every last bit of performance out of a slow machine in my opinion. I spent a few months putting this bike together, but I'm not happy with the quality of it so it's getting an overhaul and I would like to dress some things up on it, such as the wheels. I realize that putting looks over performance in some areas isn't very true to the idea of a cafe racer, but I'm the kind of guy that wants to see a hot rod more than a rat rod I guess.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts