Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I was taking my left side cover off (CB350K)to look at the stator/rotor and there is oil in it. Being use to the XS650, this is not normal. So, I'm assuming it is not normal on the CB350K ??
Thanks

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
have you been able to download or buy the factory manual?
it will help

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I got a little worried with the oil and electric mix. So having the cover off whilst (yes I said "whilst") setting the timing won't sling oil everywhere? Or it will only be a small amount?
I think the PO had laid it over on it's side due to the fact that oil ran out as soon as I removed the rotor cover.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a manual, but it doesn't say anything about oil in the stator/rotor assembly.
Simple question.
And I know how to set timing, but I need to remove the rotor cover to turn the rotor. And to check it with a test lamp and timing light.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
pat-

theres not a lot of oil under that cover. if you lean the bike just a hair toward the right, you shouldnt see any oil. i'm gonna go check my valves and time my engine and charge my battery right now. craig, im gonna switch sprockets too.

-tt

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
If 350 timing is set like on my 160, yes, you will get oil everywhere with the motor running and the cover off.

Get yourself another stator cover and cut a hole in it that lines up with the pointer on the case. Make it just big enough so you can see the marks on the rotor. This will keep most of the oil in the motor where it belongs and not all over you, your clothes and your shop. I guarantee it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jack, that is something similar to my brothers XS. He, the master TIG welder, installed an oil sight glass into his cover. He was just messing around with it at the time, kind of a "see if this will work", but it did work well. One just needs to be aware of the reflection from the light on the glass. The XS is dry, but it does make a quick timing test easier by not having to remove the cover.
I'll have to see if he still has the cover.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
I dont understand why you need to have that cover opened to do a proper tune up....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I use a timing light. So, I have to take the cover off to see where the engine marks hit when it fires. Instead of turning the rotor with a wrench, watching the test lamp, then adjusting, then turning the rotor, then accidentally going past the mark and having to go back around again,then watching, then adjusting, so on and so forth, I can do it with a timing light in a matter of about 2 minutes tops. I've used a timing light for 25 years. Perfect example of how long it can take is the video previously posted on this thread. The antiquated system of a test lamp, IMHO, is lacking at best. Not to mention when you rev the engine to 3,000rpms to test your advance. I think it takes this guy under 2 minutes to do it.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
the case cover doesn't need to come off, just the stator cover. that's what you're doing right? light and rev's are better than a static timing if you have an advance curve.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Pat, you're on the right track. I first set timing statically with a test light to get me in the ball park so the bike will start and then I verify using a fancy timing light with the stator cover removed. Yes, it slings a little bit of oil but not too bad. I usually put a drain pan underneath the bike and try to tilt it a little bit to the right. I don't have a center stand anymore but when I did I put a shim under one of the legs to tilt it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, the stator/rotor cover, not the case cover, is what I am refering too. The best thing about a good timing light is that it has a tach built in. You don't even need to move to quickly, and properly, set the timing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts