Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Johnny,

Doing all the stuff the guys are reccommending DOES seem really involved and hard to do, and the books sometimes are not a lot of help either if you don't have the basic knowledge.

If you learn by watching vs. reading, try to find someone that knows what to do SHOW you once. You will see how easy it is then you can do it in the future. An ad in craigslist may get several calls.

I love old bikes, but my mechanical ability is limited to clicking the pen to write the check for the repairs, but I am slowly learning some of the simple tuning jobs. It is a great feeling of accomplishment to have done the job yourself, and to have done it correctly!

Jack

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
ok so yeah i cleaned out idle passages, i just didn't know that's what they were called (although i figured that's what you meant). yeah i'm enjoying learning how to work on my bike and intend to learn how to do more, timing and valves being the next step.

so i started putting the kit in the carb and ran into a couple problems...

numero one-o:
the float valve seat doesn't seat...
this is the old one:

and this is the new one getting hung up on the gasket:

numero two-o:
where does this guy (i'm not sure what's a jet and what's a jet holder or whatever else) go?:

i'm assuming it goes under the main jet (or is the main jet and goes under the holder? still not sure what's called what) here:

but i don't know how to get the old one out as there's no screw head on it.
or am i completely retarded and missing something obvious?

thanks for all the help so far...

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Are those pictures of the before shot - before you cleaned your carburators? Or are those pictures of junk carbs used just to illustrate what you're talking about? Because those things aren't clean.

Craig

·
Registered
135 Posts
The first picture. Put a TINY amount of oil on the O-ring prior to seating it. Then push hard with with your thumb. If it doesn't seat with your thumb get something round about the same outside diameter of the part and force it in. O-ring clearances are typically .002" - .003" on both sides of a circle. Placin the 0-ring on causes an interference fit.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would first try to fit it without the O-ring and make sure it seats, then try with an O-ring.

I would also compare the threads of the old float valve to the new.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
three taps of a hammer later and problem solved.
although the real problem, idling on one cylinder, still exists. timing and tappet adjust up next.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
"Are those pictures of the before shot - before you cleaned your carburators? Or are those pictures of junk carbs used just to illustrate what you're talking about? Because those things aren't clean."

I have to agree with above statement posted by Craig

h

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
i hosed 'em down with carb cleaner and wiped up with a cloth. i made sure to blow carb cleaner down the idle passages... is that surface grime gonna be an issue?

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Just a suggestion. As bad as those carbs look on the parts that you can see, the small passages that you can't see (idle passages) are going to look at least as bad. Probably worse. If you've got surface grime I guarantee you've got the same grime inside the passages that you can't see. It won't take much to clog up or restrict an idle passage.

You mention that it won't idle on one side. Does it run on both sides when you give it more throttle?

Craig

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
its just a missing choke plate. whats the big deal. pull the choke totally out and see how it runs. it is possible that the screws are in the motor. sure. but probably not. more likely the linkage rod is stripped and the screws wouldnt go back in. pull ht eother plate out. see if that fixes it first.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
yeah i'm not really worried about the choke plate anymore.
it idles on one cylinder but runs on both when i get the rpm's up a bit.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
You have primary and secondary main jets, what are the numbers on replacements?
you did remove restrictor caps from mixture screw then remove screws?
It really sounds like you need to clean carbs properly, may take multiple attempts as things work loose internally with use

PJ

21 - 37 of 37 Posts