Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bouthg a cb360 about a year ago and have been working on it off-and on (it's my first bike or attempt at fixing). Unfortunately it has no power whatsoever and wants to die really quickly (within about 5 minutes). It just runs like shit. And my only guess is that the floats are messed up. Can anyone help me? It's making me livid..

carbs cleaned and synched
new clean oil
points and valves adjusted properly
plenty of gas in the tank
compression is fine
spark plugs are in good shape
(I don't have filters on it yet, and I don't think that is the issue).
bike idles well while standing

I haven't even attempted to take the engine apart because I wouldn't know what to do with it anyway. My assumption is that it's still the carbs. Maybe it is just the floats? Any other suggestions? I would really really appreciate it. Like I said, I'm really new to all of this and am not quite ready to give up yet...

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
check the battery.

check the coils.

will it start and idle at all? floats are relatively easy to check. cleaned means aot of different things. especially on carbs. how about idle air screws? just throwing a few things out there.

jc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike idles better than it ever has before, ever since I cleaned out the carbs and jets (carefully, of course).

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Does it seem like it's running out of fuel or flooding out?

Have you checked the fuel supply? The petcock may be partially plugged and allow a little fuel through but not enough for proper operation. After it dies does it have to sit awhile before it will restart? How dirty is the inside of the tank? If it's real dirty you may already have crap back in the carbs. Cap vent? Do the floats float?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After my bike died a few days ago (of about 5 minutes of it slowly and roughly riding around the block), I let it sit. Now as I come back ti it, the bike doesn't want to start anymore. When you try to crank it, gas sprays out of the carbs where you turn on the choke. What does this mean?

I checked the spark plugs and they are okay.

·
Registered
278 Posts
What do you mean, it sprays out where you turn on the choke? Dude... cafe stigmata. Seriously unlikely - the choke linkage just closes a butterfly valve which blocks the air intake. That forces air to go through a separate channel, where it picks up a much richer mixture.

And in what sense are your plugs okay? Did you check to verify that they actually spark? Do you know if you're running on both cylinders? It's quite likely that your bike is only running on one side - it's often hard to tell other than by 1) pulling the plug wires while the bike is running to see if it drops RPMs or dies, or 2) feeling the airflow off of the exhaust. If the cylinder is running, the air will feel sort of soft - if not, it'll slap.

If gas is spraying out of your carbs under just about any circumstances, your float/float needle/seat is suspect.

Please don't take your engine apart. If you have good compression and you can adjust your valves within spec, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that your problem is there. Your problem is almost surely in your carbs.

A

1 - 6 of 6 Posts