Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this thing hasn't run in 2+ years and I pulled it out of the barn behind our house to start working on it.

So far I have.

1-cleaned and patched the carbs with gorilla glue
2-Cleaned and sealed the tank.
3-pulled the head to repair a cross threaded spark plug
4-installed new points
5-installed a new battery.

As it sits there are a bunch of holes late in the exhaust, but nearly all the smoke is coming from the air boxes and sides of the carburator (there is a brass looking circle above the idle adjustment screw - its coming from there. and everywhere behind it airbox vents - screw holes in the airbox, etc.)

I would give my self a 4 out of 10 in mechanical aptitude as it relates to combustion engines. (and a 7 out of 10 otherwise)

I searched but A: I'm practically illiterage so I can't spell carburator and B: I'm pretty terrible at imputing appropriate search terms

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Keyster carb rebuild kit - http://www.siriusconinc.com/search_result.php?make=1&model=cb360&part=1&partno=&x=41&y=8&search=search

Remove air box until the issue is found and fixed. Provide picture - can be worth a 1000 misspelled words.

Check the rubber carb mount insulators for cracks. - http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1975-honda-cb360t/o/m9224#sch400006

Any residual oil left on any hot parts (valve head?) will smoke until burned off. I imagine gorilla glue would smoke up like a factory too. Try J-B Weld instead.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Usually carb diaphragms.
If they are split get some JBM replacements, about $45.00 for pair including shipping

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:Originally posted by OC Steve

quote:Originally posted by Cursh

patched the carbs with gorilla glue
I don't know if this has anything to do with the "carbs smoking" problem, but it's funny.
does this downgrade me to a 3 out of 10 with combustion engines? :D

I patched a few pin holes in the Diaphragms. It appeared that I wasn't the first to do it. I'll replace them with new when I have the $ laying around. I'm sure there are other things more pressing as well. My forks need attention (suggested in my last post) and I have a few wiring bugs (headlight doesn't work). Until then I'll stick to pedal bikes.

@busapilot - would you like a picture of it smoking? I'm not sure what I should photograph for you, but I would be happy to. I have a few hours to kill this afternoon and could get into it a little bit more.

As far as setting the valves and timing. I *"think"* the timing is set right, but I really haven't enough experience to know what I'm looking for. My test light doesn't light AT ALL when I do what the Clymer instructs to set timing. (it lights elsewhere)

As far as the valves, I can't remember what my hang up was the last time I was looking to adjust them . . . or it was just very easy/ they appeared to be properly set . . . either way, I will start there this afternoon.

Thanks for all of your help so far.

-Ben

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
would you like a picture of it smoking?
I'm pretty new to this too, but I've been fixing my CB weekly since I bought it two years ago. I'm visual and seeing it smoke (at idle and under throttle) can narrow down some of the culprits.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
@PJ - THAT'S AWESOME!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
@PJ - THAT'S AWESOME!

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
i like this guy....i think we should keep him.

ben, please fill out your location in your profile so we know who is gonna adopt you.

cheers, tex

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
i like this guy....i think we should keep him.

ben, please fill out your location in your profile so we know who is gonna adopt you.

cheers, tex

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm in east Alabama. (home of the Auburn Tigers)

I suspect that there is something wrong with my left carburetor - so I'm going to pull it again. While its out i'll check the seals and plasticy things and let you all know how it goes. The left side doesn't want to fire but it gets there eventually (probably after I throttle up to the larger jets) Anyway - went through the valve section of the Clymer and its written in Cantonese. "Shove the smallest feeler gauge you own in between the what not and the whosit. It should be stupid small low in the back and slightly less stupid small low in the front.)"

Lord knows I don't know what that means. I'll also revisit timing. I mean electricity is obviously getting across the points because it does fire in both cylinders from time to time, so maybe my test light will start being useful for once.

Photos to come. (but its possible that later today I'll be playing nerf wars with some cute undergrads because its 70 DEGREES AND SUNNY out. [i try not to ask questions when life hands me lemon-aid] so bike work might be postponed to Saturday like most respectable adults.)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm in east Alabama. (home of the Auburn Tigers)

I suspect that there is something wrong with my left carburetor - so I'm going to pull it again. While its out i'll check the seals and plasticy things and let you all know how it goes. The left side doesn't want to fire but it gets there eventually (probably after I throttle up to the larger jets) Anyway - went through the valve section of the Clymer and its written in Cantonese. "Shove the smallest feeler gauge you own in between the what not and the whosit. It should be stupid small low in the back and slightly less stupid small low in the front.)"

Lord knows I don't know what that means. I'll also revisit timing. I mean electricity is obviously getting across the points because it does fire in both cylinders from time to time, so maybe my test light will start being useful for once.

Photos to come. (but its possible that later today I'll be playing nerf wars with some cute undergrads because its 70 DEGREES AND SUNNY out. [i try not to ask questions when life hands me lemon-aid] so bike work might be postponed to Saturday like most respectable adults.)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

Photos to come. (but its possible that later today I'll be playing nerf wars with some cute undergrads because its 70 DEGREES AND SUNNY out.
Photos of that too?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

Photos to come. (but its possible that later today I'll be playing nerf wars with some cute undergrads because its 70 DEGREES AND SUNNY out.
Photos of that too?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
Christian,

You want to call me out here....really? Have we ever met? I know that we haven't raced against each other, mainly cause I think you have like three races under your belt. I love the new guys especially when they come on the scene and think they can be part of a joke or a goof that they weren't around when it originated. Watch your step Holmes......seriously! I don't find you funny, charming, or remotely smart with your last comment.

Tex

1 - 20 of 51 Posts