Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 76 360T. Rebuilt the carbs and was about to put carbs back on but noticed something. When I took the carbs off I covered the intakes on the cylinder head where the carbs go with latex gloves and put the glove fingers in the intake on one side but not the other to keep moisture out. Well I forgot the glove was in the intake when I wanted to test the starter with the new battery. I tapped the starter just to see if it works and went about my business. Everything was fine no problems. Next day went out to put carbs on and now 2 glove fingers are stuck inside the intake downward and the kick start will not move its stuck. Do you think the glove fingers got stuck between cylinder wall and piston? I am really pissed off about this stupid crap. I just couldnt believe it happened. I will probaly have to pull the cylinder head off and see. I am looking for some advice on what you guys think happened or a way to fix it. IS the cylinder head easy to get off? Is the motor easy to get off the frame? PLease any help! Thanks

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Its likely the 'fingers' are holding valve open, probably a good idea to lift head to check you didn't break/bend anything
You don't need to remove motor on CB360 to remove cylinder head, it's a pretty simple job

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the way the glove was stuck downwards towards the piston and not up towards the top cover. I know I can get the top cover off but if its stuck downwards in the intake port its towards the piston right? I was thinking if it was stuck towards the top of the intake it would be stuck on a valve or something. I am not to sure. Any Ideas? I was going to take the engine off the frame and slide the whole cyclinder head off to expose the pistons and check it out. I have a feeling its stuck towards the piston cause like I said in previous post the kickstarter is not moving its jammed and I know the engine isnt seized.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
If it's holding a valve open, the valve is probaly contacting piston. Trying to force things can bend or break valve.
You can remove cylinder head and cylinder without removing engine from frame, in fact it's easier than habving motor roll around on bench.
You could try removing generator cover and use 14mm socket on rotor nut to turn engine backwards, something may free off?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I will try and get to the valve I am pretty sure you are right. The problem with turning the engine the other way with the rotor is that the piece of glove will still be stuck in there. I have to get this thing out! I have never took this engine or anything off this engine apart so like usual I am afraid to do it and not really sure until I do it. The clymer book sucks and doesnt explain anything.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If the glove has made it between the piston and cylinder wall then i would say the best way to not damage the engine and more would be to pull the cylinder off which would requier pulling the motor off the bike. it isn't too difficult to get the engine off. i would have someone help you actually lift the motor out only because it is a bit heavy and awkward to lift at that angle. The two things i would warn you to be careful of is 1) don't let the cam chain fall into the engine and 2) use patience when putting the cylinder back on so as not to let the piston rings scratch the cylinder walls. good luck

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
before pulling cylinders I would pull the head (on the bike) and you can see whats the story.

there is a .pdf version going around of the actual factory manual that is probably much better than the clymer.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
It is possible I guess that part of the glove has managed to get between the piston and the bore, but that's highly unlikely. Just pull the head and see what's going on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts