Cafe Racer Forum banner

CB400F suggestions

7K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  JAM614 
#1 ·
this is my cb400F...

i dropped it off to carpy and told him to have his way with it.
being as i dont have the knowledge, time, or experience to do the rebuild on my own. i like his attention to detail and have the money to throw his way.
this was before i started to know kinda what i wanted. so now i keep going back and telling carpy the specifics that i want.

but i wanted to know any suggestions you guys with your collective experience.

so far i got....
yoshi 466cc big bore piston kit
Keihin 26mm CR carbs
electronic ignition
black yoshi 4to1 exhaust
clubmans(probably gonna add rearsets and/or clipons later, i'm 5'3 so i wanna see how i fit first)

anything else? am i on the right track? any suggestions or criticism is appreciated. THANKS!

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks pretty clean. Restore it back to stock and enjoy it? Classic design from the factory.

No "Cafe Racer 59" or "Ton Up Cafe Racer" decals, gauge mods, black/white checkered decals or paintwork, 16" rear wheel, etc. Leave the front fender on. Leave both, these bikes are small enough as-is. My opinion.

Ron Bullard
bullard_ron@hotmail.com

http://springvinmoto.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=pdx_ron

Edited by - ron bullard on Jan 17 2008 3:39:30 PM

#3 ·
yeah, the only writing i want on it is on the side of the tank i want something written in japanese, like cafe or maybe just honda written in japanese. i'm still looking into that. a

i want it more moded then stock. vintage japanese racer.(but still street legal.)

i got my fill of checkers in school with my checkered vans :)

thanks for the input.

#6 ·
when a bike looks that nice to begin, im with ron. keep it looking stock, but make it a monster. i would rather see it go then see it. id say concentrate on motor work. But dont go huge. look for a set of carillo forged rods for it. they made em. port the head. have it flowed. dont screw around with a place that doesnt know anything. go to someone good. if youre in california, there should be a million places. cam. cam. oh, and cam. look for bigger intake valves. ti wasted valves with ti retainers and racing springs. lighten the crank if you can. barnett clutch. oh fuck it.....check this out.

http://www.ttr400.com/photo3_2.html

if youre going to go with cr carbs, youll want to take advantage of this better breathing head. you can also have the pistons and sleeves coated. go to boretech. get a rev limiter, you dont want to over rev the thing and blow all that shit up. if you start there, with the motor, that should set you back a good 4-5k id imagine. toss the seat. i like a stock set, gives you a way to carry things. plus lets you move around a little.i carries my skateboard, and all my gear to brooklyn for a weekend not too long ago on the back of my 550. over 400 mile round trip. cb550 or 750 front end. run 18's. none of that 16" crap. no checks. no stupid pirate clocks. none of that 59 or caferacer or ugly stripes. supersport should say enough.

nothing like it looking regular parked, but able to power up a wheelie in 3rd gear.

also, reasearch and look for anything kaz yoshima made back then. he was kicking everyones ass with the 400/4 back int he day. i have one of his pipes on my 550 and the midrange and top end it makes is sweet.

just my opinion. no one seems to put anything into motors around here. well, not many. that bike is so nice, and seems to need so little, id build a monster out of it if ihad the $$$.

jc

i dont know shit

#8 ·
Do not put the word "CAFE" on it anywhere. You should not have to tell people what style of bike it is. If you have to tell them then I guess they just don't get it.

Rochester, NY
74 CB450
73 Triumph Bonnie 750
80 KZ1000 drag/street

#13 ·
Build what you want to man. It's "cool" to be down on Steve because he's making a living building what he thinks is cool. The crazy thing.....a lot of other people do to. It's just fashionable on a few forums. If you want him to do the work you can be assured of getting a pretty good looking bike, besides there are enough mid-70's honda 4 cylinders running around stock/restored since that's the other side of the latest hipster bullshit.

In short, build what you want.

Lead, follow or get out of the way!

#14 ·
Build what you want to man. It's "cool" to be down on Steve because he's making a living building what he thinks is cool. The crazy thing.....a lot of other people do to. It's just fashionable on a few forums. If you want him to do the work you can be assured of getting a pretty good looking bike, besides there are enough mid-70's honda 4 cylinders running around stock/restored since that's the other side of the latest hipster bullshit.

In short, build what you want.

Lead, follow or get out of the way!

#16 ·
oh, i agree, definitely. the guy does fine work. fuck, isnt this horse dead yet? but why not have a mild cafe, with an uber kickass engine? i almost like it enough the way it is sans seat. a stock seat, with rearsets and a hot ass reliable motor. get a set of 78 cb750ss 35mm set of forks, yer mans gotta have em there, run dual vented disks, and even if you wanted real cool, have a set of 4-4s made up. black, with reverse cones. hydroformed! the sound. man o man the sound! just like these.

then shouldered alloys with fresh spokes. maybe a kick ass looking steering stabilizer. i almost cashed out and bout an ohlins for the race bike last winter, but 600 bucks was a little steep when i really dont even need one. then make sure you hang the pipes in your living room, to keep them fresh, and everything else you hack off. dont forget an uber cool krober tach. and then go show those 600 squids how to ride!

jc

i dont know shit

Edited by - joe c on Jan 17 2008 9:08:04 PM

#15 ·
oh, i agree, definitely. the guy does fine work. fuck, isnt this horse dead yet? but why not have a mild cafe, with an uber kickass engine? i almost like it enough the way it is sans seat. a stock seat, with rearsets and a hot ass reliable motor. get a set of 78 cb750ss 35mm set of forks, yer mans gotta have em there, run dual vented disks, and even if you wanted real cool, have a set of 4-4s made up. black, with reverse cones. hydroformed! the sound. man o man the sound! just like these.

then shouldered alloys with fresh spokes. maybe a kick ass looking steering stabilizer. i almost cashed out and bout an ohlins for the race bike last winter, but 600 bucks was a little steep when i really dont even need one. then make sure you hang the pipes in your living room, to keep them fresh, and everything else you hack off. dont forget an uber cool krober tach. and then go show those 600 squids how to ride!

jc

i dont know shit

Edited by - joe c on Jan 17 2008 9:08:04 PM

#18 ·
in the end i'm gonna do what i want regardless of what people think. more so i was looking for specific brands and products people have used and know work well.

lots of good info i didnt know. i dont ever plan on getting rid of the bike so it'll probably go through lots of changes during its life.

@joe c- i actually looked at that site and read up on kaz before i decided on the 400. motor was one of the things i was focusing on.

everytime i look on this site i wish i had multiple bikes like some of you so i can have something to ride while this one is in the works.

#17 ·
in the end i'm gonna do what i want regardless of what people think. more so i was looking for specific brands and products people have used and know work well.

lots of good info i didnt know. i dont ever plan on getting rid of the bike so it'll probably go through lots of changes during its life.

@joe c- i actually looked at that site and read up on kaz before i decided on the 400. motor was one of the things i was focusing on.

everytime i look on this site i wish i had multiple bikes like some of you so i can have something to ride while this one is in the works.

#20 ·
akront rims
avon tyres
megacycle cams
webcams
barnett clutches
powroll
cometic gaskets
wiseco pistons
boretech for cyl and piston work
i dont who to send you for porting. that gets weird.
works shocks
vintage brake for pads and rotor work (hes super busy though)
i love love love my adjustable clubmans.
otherwise i think you got the good list goin. definitely post pics as it comes along. im definitely interested.

dont worry, youll have more than one soon enough. it always happens. you just cant help yourself.

jc

i dont know shit

#19 ·
akront rims
avon tyres
megacycle cams
webcams
barnett clutches
powroll
cometic gaskets
wiseco pistons
boretech for cyl and piston work
i dont who to send you for porting. that gets weird.
works shocks
vintage brake for pads and rotor work (hes super busy though)
i love love love my adjustable clubmans.
otherwise i think you got the good list goin. definitely post pics as it comes along. im definitely interested.

dont worry, youll have more than one soon enough. it always happens. you just cant help yourself.

jc

i dont know shit

#26 ·
I use bill bune for cylinder boring - he's awsome, low price, fast turn around and works great. I also use him for crank machining. He's more of a two stroke guy but a cylinder bore is a cylinder bore.

www.billbune.com

There is a guy in seattle importing those south african cb400f parts. never dealt with him but I hear positive things from those who have. Just pricy

http://www.400fourstore.com/index.asp

if you are not going to add the rearsets, then don't add the clubmans, use drag bars instead. 5'3" is short but there's a difference between not-uncomfortable and comfortable....

the 400four store's box rear swingarm is dead sexy as compared to the stocker and their rearsets are nice. A good way to blow $900+ but the swingarm is def worth every penny.

BTW - if you put one of those box seats like carpy puts on every one of his bikes I will personally come you your house and bash it with a 2x4.

toodles.

Edited by - geeto67 on Jan 19 2008 4:23:58 PM

Edited by - geeto67 on Jan 19 2008 4:26:25 PM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.