Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front brake discs look to be interchangeable, but I want to double check anyways before i buy anything. So, can I use a CB 450 hub and wheel and disc brake combo mated to a CB900 front forks?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
cross the parts on Bikebandit

are you trying to build something?
why not just buy parts that you know will fit
what year bikes are you talking about?
more info on the "project"?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I thought 900 had 5 bolt rotors?
I know 450 has 6 bolt
BTW Jag, I'm British. I resemble that remark :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to use spoked wheels but also have a disc brake up front. Are there other years that might work or other hubs that would work?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
450,500, 550, 750 all use same hub.
You just have to find rotors to fit it.
Try PM to Fishead, maybe he'll know what fits and tell you without selling you a kit?

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
WHAT YEAR IS THE BIKE YOU ARE WORKING ON?

ill assume that since you want to run spokes you have a hawk?
didn't hawks come with spokes for a while?
do they just bolt in and out?

JP
Ive had a few jags, MGs triumphs and such
did some side work on astons and lotus for a while too....
they are just ......"different"....lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its for a 68 triumph daytona. I wanted to do a front end swap and get a disc brake as well as some better fork damping with the modern cb900 with preload adjusters etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sooo, back to this. I purchased some 82 cb450 forks off of egay. Are any of the eaarlier hubs and axles a straight forward swap? Say I wanted to swap a 75 750 front hub and disc combo, could I do it?

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Short answer = no.

The general rule when you are talking about Honda and what bolts on is: comstar wheels must use comstar wheel, brakes, and forks, spoke wheels use spoke brakes, wheel, and forks. None of it is interchangeable without machining.

Honestly, I don't know what you are trying to do here. Are you trying to do something on the cheap? Or are you lookng for a real solution. FWIW the hawk forks are kind of garbage to begin with and you wasted your money buying them.

I am using a 1975-77 GL1000 front end on my sportster. 38mm forks, dual discs, and an alloy rim. Nothing great, but works better than the HD setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What i'm looking for is front forks that I can add emulators and more modern damping etc. while retaining spoke wheels and possibly disc brakes. All of course on my Triumph, I don't mind machining a new stem but dont want to do much else.

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
Emulators can be added to almost any 35mm fork as far as i know
why not a nice set of 1978 CB750F forks? know a guy that knows a guy that might have a set....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No reason not too jag. The only reason why I bought the 80 cb450 forks was i figured the more modern the better. (within reason of course and wouldn't look too high tech)

I wish I had done a little more research before purchasing these ones though...

So how much is he asking? Feel free to PM details if you like...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts