Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have started a project that I have been wanting to do for some time now. I bought a 72 CB450 with 8k miles and stripped it down and cut a bunch of brackets and useless stuff off.

Here it is the way I got it.......

Here it is getting stripped

Yeah I look goofy back there

Engine getting polished up a little after glass beaded

Frame after powdercoating and prepped for engine

We laid the engine on its left side and laid the frame on the motor, never did it this way before and it worked like a dream. Here's a few with the engine in the frame.

Here is a pice with triple clamps installed on new tapered bearings and the left rearset mocked up. I used my stock 02 GSXR1000 rearsets powdercoated.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Looks like a clean build!
BTW,your little Honda Z50 has a cardboard box as an engine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
quote:Originally posted by coolatula

:D:D:D

Chris

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Looks like a clean build!
Yeah, I had a guy trade me two Z50's for an old set of upside down forks. One is about 90% there and the other is about 50%....A project for later down the road.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I modified the handlebar controls by adding a ground to the starter and horn switches. I painted the controls with a wrinkle finish that I have used on valve covers. All electrical contacts have been polished and lubed up with Dielectric grease.

I replaced the killswitch with a piece of ABS Plastic that I finely crafted at work on a boring day.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Very nice job Guy! Kinda into the 450s and this one looks pretty interesting to me. Sure am liking the details myself and am looking forward to the progress on this one.

Take care, Bill

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quote:Originally posted by bill440cars

Very nice job Guy! Kinda into the 450s and this one looks pretty interesting to me. Sure am liking the details myself and am looking forward to the progress on this one.

Take care, Bill
Thanks Bill. Tomorrow I will be installing the forks that I freshly rebuilt using some tricks of the trade I learned when working for G.M.D. Computrac of Atlanta. I got new swingarm bushings to install. I get to pick up the rims which I had powdercoated black as well, So I get to have some fun lacing up wheels with the help of my step-dad Jack McAllister. I will post pics in the next day or so.

·
Registered
720 Posts
quote:Tomorrow I will be installing the forks that I freshly rebuilt using some tricks of the trade I learned when working for G.M.D. Computrac of Atlanta.
Care to share the tricks of the trade?

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
jbrotor,
Say hi to Jack from me. I used to work at Fredericks Honda in Winder with him. When I left GA in 91 I did a bike deal with Jack that involved my 500 Ascot race bike and his RD400 Daytona. I don't remember the details but it all worked out one way or the other.

Ken

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well we got some more accomplished. Jack laced up the front wheel. I didn't take a picture yet because we still have the tape on the rim to prevent scratching the fresh powdercoat. I mocked up the front end, started wiring and mounted the right rearset.

Here are the clip-ons and rebuilt controls mounted.

Here's the right rearset mounted.

And a couple shots of the rearsets and clip-ons.

Side view

I slid the tank on to get an idea of a color and I think it would look real nice black with a silver pinstripe like on the GB500s. What do you think??

·
Registered
326 Posts
Honda tanks are wide on the sides so,if you go with black the stripe should go down the sides. Is this what you meant?

Otherwise with all the surface area(not to mention a black frame as well)they tend to look kinda like a cheap/shade tree/unfinished paint job if you leave them blank(no wings/Honda or stripes).

If you go with say silver you can maybe get away with it,but not with black.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Honda tanks are wide on the sides so,if you go with black the stripe should go down the sides. Is this what you meant?

Otherwise with all the surface area(not to mention a black frame as well)they tend to look kinda like a cheap/shade tree/unfinished paint job if you leave them blank(no wings/Honda or stripes).

If you go with say silver you can maybe get away with it,but not with black.
I have a set of 81 Nighthawk tank badges (Honda Wings) that I think would look good on it with the pin stripes on the sides of the tank like the GB500s.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The swingarm bushings are heavily worn on one side so I am going to cut them out and have Jack press in the new ones. I should be getting starded on the seat assembly this weekend. I am going to build a solo seat out of fiberglass and either paint it or cover it entirely with black vinyl with red stitching. Not sure yet. I like the El Poquito Benjie Cafe Racer seat.
http://www.benjiescaferacer.com/poquito.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The swingarm bushings are heavily worn on one side so I am going to cut them out and have Jack press in the new ones. I should be getting starded on the seat assembly this weekend. I am going to build a solo seat out of fiberglass and either paint it or cover it entirely with black vinyl with red stitching. Not sure yet. I like the El Poquito Benjie Cafe Racer seat.
http://www.benjiescaferacer.com/poquito.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys, I got some of the seat fabricated last night. I started with a base that I cut from an old bookshelf that we were throwing away at work.

Then I took some hobby store foam blocks and shaped them to my likeing. Then I covered it with Aluminum foil to prevent the resin from melting the foam.

I applied several layers of fiberglass and let it cure over night.

Here's a coupe of shots of it after I trimmed the excess glass. Now I can bondo it smooth!!

I am having a great time with this project and look forward to riding it. I won't get much done next weekend b/c I will be at Barber browsing around the swap meet. Oh BTW Jack laced my wheels and is going to true them this week and mount some Roadriders on them.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Project is looking better and better.

BTW is that a little monkey humping your triple tree nut?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
digging it thus far and don't get bent over this as it may not apply... but

I'd seriously consider stomping the living snot out of the foot pegs and finding out now if they need bracing

my eyeball tends to think they would benefit from just a bit of triangulation from the peg fulcrum to frame, next best would be from rearset mount bolts to frame, or at least bracing the tab mount around the tubing a bit

disregard if it really is solid enough to withstand your weight about 4 or 5 times over but it's easier to touch up paint now than when the bike is completely assembled and even more so if the tab or tubing fatigues

1 - 20 of 87 Posts