Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I've never made a roller starter before, so I looked it up on the net and copied a few photos for ideas? like these, (maybe not the truck powered one)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks so much! I know my Mom was a believer so I also know she is in a much better place now. Also I got to spend time with my brothers and have other family so it was a time of closure and healing for me and I feel like God blessed us with a merciful and easy and peaceful passing. I can count it good when I think of how so many others have lost loved ones from this virus and can't even be with them.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well I've been poking along on this some every few days and I'm nearly ready to start it up. I'm still waiting on a few parts to build the roller starter but the bike is almost done, except for mounting the fairing and painting it. I've rebuilt a nice, low miles set of stock carbs with a little bigger jets to hopefully compensate for the more open exhaust and intake. I made seat mount brackets and mounted the electrical parts. steering dampener, routed all the cables and wiring, mounted the front fender, rebuilt the brake caliper and MC and blead it out. I also made a stand that fits under the frame on spools mounted where the original front foot pegs went. The weather's been nice here so I got the tank, seat and fender painted , striped and decals on and the clear coated. I'm still waiting for some bearings to make the roller starter but I'm collecting materials for it and also trying to get my shop lathe operating to make the rollers. Here's a picture from this afternoon.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I did some work on my roller starter today. everything except the bearings came from my local steel supply remnant bins. I need to use this on different bikes so I made the rollers about 8" wide and used 3" galvanized pipe, 3/4" shafts and pillow block bearings. I will probably use minibike chain and sprockets to fit 3/4" and the bearings for my starter motor shaft are 1&1/4" because the starter I have has 12 teeth on the gear and a 32mm 12 point socket fit it perfectly. I will turn the socket down on the lathe to fit the bearing and only have to fabricate the rest of the sprocket mount to fit the 1/2" drive socket end. anyways, here is more pictures from today.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I had this running a few weeks ago off of the roller starter. I've been busy helping my brother settle my moms estate so I'm kind of hit and miss on this project. I got the fairing painted, mounted and the windshield on so it's almost done. I clear coated all the painted parts so I got some yellow vinyl sign material and cut out some 9" x11" roundels and ordered some 3's from a company that makes numbers for race cars, I got 3 7" 3's for$18. delivered and I'm ready to do the final check on all the bolts and then ride it to break in the rings. I hope to take it to a track and ride it on a open track day to see how it runs? I'll see how that goes with this virus hysteria going on? So now I'm ready to start on another project, I have a Yamaha YDS2 that's begging to be made into an Ascot replica, I did one a few years ago and it's a fun project. I'm doing the body work on the gas tank now ( in foreground of photo?) here's another photo of the Honda.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts