Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there, kudos to those who have created this resource! I wanted to reach out to anyone who may be in Atlanta as you can see from my number of posts I am a newbie and have much to learn. If you're local and have recommendations on resources on where to get stuff done, powder coating, re-boring, etc I am all ears.
Now for a couple simple? questions: Do you need to resurface a rear drum when putting in new shoes? What's a good method for seating new headset races into a frame?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Answering my own question... looks like give how much the rear brake contributes to braking power, it's not worth resurfacing the drum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Answering my own question... looks like give how much the rear brake contributes to braking power, it's not worth resurfacing the drum.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
I am north of you in Dawsonville but can handle all your powder coating needs here at www.CreativeCandy.org
While 75-90% of your braking is done with the front wheel it is still a good idea to turn your drums and rotors so the new pads/shoes seat correctly. Most motorcycle rotors can not be turned.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
I am north of you in Dawsonville but can handle all your powder coating needs here at www.CreativeCandy.org
While 75-90% of your braking is done with the front wheel it is still a good idea to turn your drums and rotors so the new pads/shoes seat correctly. Most motorcycle rotors can not be turned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks marc, i'll see what the local machine shop says about my rotor which I was able to remove. I don't want to get into lacing the wheels yet so I am not sure how a shop would even get at the rear drum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts