Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all, may as well post up my new project...
So of course i had to get the best possible start for a cafe bike, a beautiful '72 Honda CB450:D

I was wondering why it had a tube full of Silicone in the fins?
After some excavation I found the cam chain had chewed through the tunnel and a combination of Silicone and rough arse welding had been performed to try and keep the oil in.

Sooo, junk the barrel and get hold of a nice used one and pull the whole mess done to it's individual parts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Having sorted the parts I intend to paint, I took this lot off to the sand blasters.

and two days later...a nice cleaned and primed pile of parts.

Next job was to strip the engine and see what is salvageable? Lucky it came with it's own engine stand!:p
Crankshaft is stuffed (Rods frozen at the big end and the small ends badly surface rusted.)

I thought the head would be OK, and I think it is, except for a cracked exhaust stud mounting...should be easy enough to weld up though?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So as of today I have a few parts to take off to be vapour blasted as I'm too lazy this time to scrub 'em up by hand.
Though I did give it all a wash in Kero as it felt plain wrong to take them the way they were.

Front wheel's seen better days..

But under the muck there is still the Yellow paint on the thread ends and under the lock washers

the rear brake also looks fairly good where the crud has protected it

Not so sure whether or not the stator will live again....

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Don't trash that barrel. It may clean up just fine to use, if you rebore it and go for + .75mm oversize (or bigger) pistons. A used barrel may not be that much better.

The first big rule with playing around with old motors is never throw any part away. Just about anything can be reclaimed if necessary. Don't assume you can always find the used part you require.

Don't let any blasted parts sit around to rust, even an oily rag is far better than nothing.

A good ally welder can fix just about anything.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone know if those cheap Stainless spokes are any good? The ePay ones that are around $30 a set? They aren't the butted type, but should they be?
Plan is to use alloy rims and SS spokes at this point.
Unfortunately I've also spotted this at BCR...:cool:
Pricey, but jeez that looks good. Not sure if the budget will allow for that at the current rate of spend though.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I wouldn't use cheap SS spokes fromwhoknowswhereBay, even quality SS spokes can be brittle and break in use. Don't be surprized if you can find some NOS OEM Honda spoke sets somewhere on the net.

Ask these guys about spokes: Central Wheel Components Limited It's worth a read, anyway.

I can't say the cheap stuff from BCR does much for me. The ally tank is probably from India and his GRP tanks are just dangerous IMO. I wouldn't use an ally tailpiece, I think the vibes would crack it. I don't think a Manx style tank suits a Honda. I like Honda race copies, like these:

http://www.ohiocaferacers.com/Tank2-150.jpg

Tank2-150.jpg

Their complete road bike is a neat thing.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I also think the Honda style long narrow tank places the rider's weight too far back for good handling. I think the answer is a stock tank from a CB500T. It is underutilized, is one of the best looking stock Honda tanks, ever, and will fit straight onto the 450 frame. The stock red color is very nice and the brown not so much.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I also think the Honda style long narrow tank places the rider's weight too far back for good handling. I think the answer is a stock tank from a CB500T. It is underutilized, is one of the best looking stock Honda tanks, ever, and will fit straight onto the 450 frame. The stock red color is very nice and the brown not so much.
Makes perfect sense.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Makes perfect sense.

Danger, is my business.
FU Witworth, how am I supposed to work up a good sense of self-righteous indignation with a response like that? :)

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
While not directly applicable to this build, I like to see more café racers with shorter tanks like this the Honda CR110 road model.

Honda-CR110-Street_b5.jpg

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting thoughts!
I must admit I was wondering where that alloy tank / seat was made when I read "Hand made" you may well be right about the potential for low quality....sounds like I'd have to find someone that's using it first?
I got my last spokes from Buchanan's for the Z9 and was happy with them....I guess the lure of price had me thinking about the ePay items.:)
Current plan is to use maybe an old "mud catcher" pattern Akront rim (which I see are now made by Morad), with a butted SS spoke.
morad_ts_rims.jpg
There's a guy down here who's racing a 450...I think he has a Rickman copy tank on his? I'll see what he thinks of it. Not sure if that's as long as the Honda race replica tanks?

Actually now that I look at a 500 tank it could look pretty good...that's one I hadn't even considered?

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
hand made doesn't mean poor quality... it means hand made. your choice in builders may have been poor OR your method of mounting the parts may have created a problem

I feel that the large alloy tank is a big alloy box... a more sculptural tank may fit your needs.

good luck

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Personally I'd prefer to use quality chromed spokes. They are a fraction too shiny, but SS spokes do dull and corrode with time. Stainless means no rust, not really no stains. Even the highest grade marine grade stainless deteriorates in time.

"Hand made" really depends on the quality of the hand guiding the tool. Or the tool guiding the hand.

Danger, is my business.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts