Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the CB450 what did these two nipples on the bottom do? Were they for drainage, or emissions stuff or something. They had petcocks so i don think they ran to the carbs. Any info?

And any body got a CX500 tank they want to sell?

My CB750 Project:
http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4739

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
you might be talking about the crossover. its the 2 bent pipes with the hose? it lets fuel go form one side of the tan to the other.

jc

·
Registered
23 Posts
That is exactly what it is. It is to even the fuel between the two sides of the tank. Make sure to use sturdy clamps and not zip-ties when applying the hose.

I did what last night !!!!

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:
oh... so if i cut those off and welded the holes over would it be a problem?
Problem? It won't cause global warming, but you'll only be able to use 2/3rds the gas in the tank without stopping to slosh all the gas from the left side to the right side of the tank.

Leave them in. Get some quick disconnects for the line that joins them together.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Yeah, even though tex is from PA, he is right on this one! :) Por 15 worked well for my tank. I would use Evapor rust first, just to get all the rust (if any) out of the tank then use Por 15. Both are environmental friendly products, so you don't have to do anything special to dispose of the waste.

If you are not going to be removing the tank often, I don't see the point of sealing the crossovers. It just gets in the way on the race bikes, since you don't typically put that much fuel in the tank anyway, and you are always taking the tank off (at least I am) between races. Good point on the no zip-tie rule! Safety Wire it or use a good small hose clamp.

Yeller'
---
Ask not what the wanker can do for you, but what you can do for your wanker!

Edited by - Pete Casper on Oct 19 2007 08:20:00 AM

·
Registered
217 Posts
On my CB450 I just took a hose and connected the two sides together on top of the tank. I actually tucked the hose inside the top "lip" of the tank, so I wouldnt have to worry about spilling fuel all over the bike everytime I take the tank off..You dont have to buy/deal with disconnects, and you dont even see the line tucked into the tank..

P r o T e a l 5 5
MEMBER: Half Fast Chicago

Edited by - PROTEAL55 on Oct 20 2007 10:46:42 PM

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
that works, the quick disconnects are the way to go though.

jc

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
STOP get your butt a cool cx500 tank and have a cafe racer looking kick ass tank like this one on ebay.just look for a cx500 tank one is this shape the other is like a harley this is the style tank you want.use a honda 360 petcock alway get the cx pitcock so you can use the threaded pet cock nut .
Then just strip the tank and bam its cafe killer looks youd think your in a Pussy cat Kill Kill Kill Russ Myers film.
All you have to do is thread the standard 450 tank studs with a tap and thread a nut and bolt to extend the front mount drill a hole for a rear mount bolt and Bammmm one kick ass tank .
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-Honda-CX500-Gas-Tank-79-Cx-500_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35586QQihZ001QQitemZ110182519278QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
itll cost you more for POR 15 then it would to buy this style of gas tank.Check out borzwazie projet its rocking his house......

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah im already watching that tank

1 - 14 of 14 Posts